Algae problem!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tay

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-3580221785.jpg
how do i get rid of algae?!?!?

Phosphate pads

It's not necessarily high phosphates that's causing the OP's algae. Any imbalance in nutrients light and carbon can cause algae. We need more info before making suggestions.

OP, what's your lighting schedule? What are your water parameters? What ferts are you dosing? Are you liquid carbon supplements, pressurized CO2, or none?

I agree I had phosphates thorough the roof, I mean color was off the chart. No algae issues or anything so... I'd answer some more questions before putting in a phosphate pad. Also remember you want "some" phosphates. I try and maintain 2.0ppm

Excess phosphates are almost never a problem. Insufficient phosphate is almost always a problem. I've ran easily 10 ppm phosphate with much problem.

What's the setup on this tank? Light, co2, ferts, age, parameters, etc.

More plants is the best method, the more plants you have the more competition there is for the algae. Another method that has worked for me is getting cherry shrimp, they love algae especially if it grows on plants. Shrimp are much less work than cat fish, if your avoiding fish, and going for just plants. Water parameters would help to better diagnose the exact nature of your issues.

i am using api co2(liquid) 1ml a day for my 54L (14gallon) and i have lots of plants! my parametres are perfect, amonia and nitrite is 0ppm but my Tank is a bit acidic!! and im gettin that fixed, Thanks

i am using api co2(liquid) 1ml a day for my 54L (14gallon) and i have lots of plants! my parametres are perfect, amonia and nitrite is 0ppm but my Tank is a bit acidic!! and im gettin that fixed, Thanks

How acidic? Most plants enjoy a lower ph. Unless its drastically low I wouldn't change it
And what about nitrate? Water change schedule? And you're not dosing any other ferts?

Co2 will most likely cause more problems the it will help, because it lowers the Ph and is helping promote your algae growth. If your tank is new it could be diatoms which will disappear on there own. Lowering light times and adding liquid fertilizers can sometimes help.

Back
Top Bottom