Algae Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoneFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a pond that is about 1000-900 gallons and has thick strands of green algae on the sides and bottom of the pond. In the pond right now are 2 small 6" koi about 12 5" comets and about 40 3" and 1 plate sized red eared slider. The rosy reds the reds are busy breeders, what would be the best fish/ invert to take care of the algae.

If not covered, it tough to control algae. Best remedy, shade, and you'll have gin clear water.

How would you recomend covering the pond with a tarp? Or mabye building a shade. Which would be the best choice of action.

Ok

We have a japanese maple that has not grown big enough yet to cover the pond so i guess a pond awning is my next project:) Tahnk you

Build some kind of trellis and plant some kind of vining plant. Although your #1 issue is too many fish. By the looks of it you have 52 gold fish in your pond. I'd say you could have 10-20 max. You have to remember they get BIG really big. I have a couple of 8-14" ones in my pond.

There is no fish or invert or whatever that exists that will fix your problem. Your problem is TOO many fish. I think if you tested your water you'd find extraordinary amounts of nitrates and ammonia.

Also at the above person UV sterilizers do not work on filamentous algae, only green water and floating strands. Stuff that clings on the sides is unaffected.

yes that is why you also use the algae eaters:fish2:
When you think about the construction of a pond you'll realize how ineffective any algae eater would be in a pond.

#1 they can only be there for maybe 7-9 months out of the year.
#2 Ponds have a CRAP ton more surface area than aquariums on the inside. Not only do the sides (which are round, compounding the issue) but also the BOTTOM have to be cleaned.
#3 Algae eaters will just increase the bio load in this egregiously overstocked pond.

I've had my 500gallon for nearly 6 years. Some of the gold fish are nearly 10 years old. There are only 5 large ~8-14 inch gold fish and 1 14" koi and another ~20ish inch koi in there. I have NO algae except for a small amount of BBA that grows on the sides (which my fish eat). I suggest #1 Better filtration, most ponds are SEVERELY underfiltered #2 fewer fish #3 UV sterilizer to stop green water.

Last edited:
I have a 1050 gallon pond Ive had it 4 years and every spring i get the string alge for about 3 weeks or untill the bio filter kicks in.

I have 8 koi over 24" and several gold fish and small koi, 4 small eastern painted turtles, several bull frogs, and a lot of small critters (snails, crawfish, salamanders, etc)

Are you using a bio filter? How many gph is yor pump?

The best remedy for gin clear water is shade. U can go as simple as a tarp, or build a patio. Nevertheless, take away most of the sunlight, and the algae cannot grow. I too have a pond about the same size as yours, we added a patio with partial/mostly shade, and the water is gin clear. If u plan on using a uv sterilizer, I'd suggest a uv/pump, however, it is a good idea to send the water from the uv/pump to a catch basin of some kind. Note, u can make a your own with a #5 storage ben... you tube it. It's a nice water feature, plus it oxygenates. It will also catch the dead algae bloom from the uv pump, just dump it out every day and you'll see results. Also, don't settle on el cheapo, invest on good equipment....( I'd suggest shade... but I also run a uv) hope this helps.... Cheers From the Texas Gulf Coast!!

Aha! I can relate to this! Just read something about sunlight causing algae problems! Sorry I'm not much help...

My pond is in full sunlight too had the same problem installed a tmc pro clear advance uv 55 uv clarifier 4 days ago and now my pond is clean and clear and algae free

Back
Top Bottom