algae Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a question on algae, I have green hair algae all over my tank now, I think probably due to phosphates...

If algae affects areas where there is no water flow, then how come this green hair algae started on rocks where my ph's are pumping water and these are now the worst areas in the tank? TIA

I think cyano has a hard time starting where there is plenty of flow. Hair algea will flourish where there are plenty of excessive nutrients. i.e. phosphates and nitrates.

melosu58 I think cyano has a hard time starting where there is plenty of flow. Hair algea will flourish where there are plenty of excessive nutrients. i.e. phosphates and nitrates.
I agree, hair algae, I believe loves water flow, for feeding. I got rid of mine by scrubbing in old SW and PWCs. I has more sprout up, but another type of algae seems to be outcompeting the hair.

If your calcium and/or carbonate hardness are low, the water will dissolve the rock to replenish the desired levels of Ca and KH. The real issue here can be the other nutrients that are dissolved and set free by the aggressive water. These can include, but aren't limited to, phosphates and minerals that will encourage algae.
If you use a turkey baster to blow around the areas affected (yes, I know your powerheads are there), you should see a sediment cloud. If so, this is indicative of low Ca/KH. Monitor and dose frequently and accordingly.

I would not dose till you see if PWC`s can take care of the situation first. 9 times out of 10 they will. I have helped others to remove hair algea from their tank and have simply done it by rubber banding an old toothbrush around your syphon hose and gently scrubing the hair algea off the rock while doing frequent pwc`s. That and less feedings will and have done the job IME.

[quotemelosu58] rubber banding an old toothbrush[/quote]
I bought a new one, just in case of the stuff in the toothpaste.....

I don't believe there are any guarantees. The best thing to do is resolve the water issues, otherwise it will keep coming back.....

roka64 said:
I don't believe there are any guarantees. The best thing to do is resolve the water issues, otherwise it will keep coming back.....

(y) (y) Two thumbs up

Back
Top Bottom