Algae scrubber?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally use an algae scrubber and it works great. But I have never in my years of keeping heard of a DIY algae scrubber. I would recommend a magfloat, I personally have used one for years and it never fails me.

I think we are talking about 2 different scrubbers. Watch the video. I been thinking about building one myself.

I run one, easy to build, easy to maintain, I wouldn't have a tank without one now that I've tried one. That's just my opinion. If you build one, make very sure you size it to your tank volume, have adequate flow, and proper lighting. Best of luck

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks redwolf I'm doing some homework now. What size do you think I'll need for a 75 gallon reef?

I believe it goes by square inches per gallon of system capacity. I looked at every bit of info I could find on building one, then went bigger lol. I made a waterfall style, that flows down into my sump with lighting on both sides of the screen. Where about in the country are you if you don't mind my asking?

Philadelphia. Sounds like you have a nice setup. Send me a pic if you don't mind. Do you still have a skimmer? I heard of people taking there skimmers out and replacing them with one of these scrubbers

I do run a skimmer also, I've gone without and with. Better with imo.

Attachments

• 1399863287520.jpg
    1399863287520.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 81
Not the best shot, but pics with the phone stuck suck

Yes I think I'll keep my skimmer on as well. Tank looks good. What kind of light are you using? Here's a few pics of my tank I'm always moving the rock I can't help myself every time I get something new. HeheheImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399864068.234141.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399864079.013032.jpg

Looking really good. Hydra 52 for light... And I'm always moving stuff around also... I think it's a disease we catch from the salt water lol

I will say, since adding it, the amount of glass cleaning I have to do has gone way down

I have a pair of skkylight tablets that keep breaking. I'm pretty pissed off about it. But when they are working my tank does great. Gonna try out the strips they have. So if anybody has any suggestions please let me know

Less glass cleaning is a plus. Has to be the hardest part for me. My water changes are easy to do. My water gets pumped up from my container in the basement.

I love my hydras, but I'd look at the photon (I think that's the name) from reefbreeders. Look like a hell of a light for the money

That's a great set up for wcs, I'm changing mine too something very similar

Back
Top Bottom