algae scrubber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never seen one in action, but I suppose the theory behind it is that the plants (houselhold?) would absorb the excess nitrates and such from the aquarium water. As an avid gardener, I have two concerns: 1) it couldn't be used with a saltwater setup, as the salinity levels would surely kill the average/common house plants and 2) I would be very concerned about other things (fertilizers, etc) being leeched out of the plant pot and back into the aquarium.

Just my opinion.

I have seen a couple, but not lately. I think they were the "in" thing a few years back before refugiums became popular. Basically it was a tray with macroalgae and the water would pump through at a fairly slow rate for higher contact time before dumping back to the tank or sump and it was lighted much like you would a fuge.

I have something that works like that. I have an aquaclear300 power filter that has been modified into a fuge. One of the by-products is that the return tray has a 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick mat of algae on the entire thing. All the water must flow over and through this algae mat to return to the tank. Works the same as an algae scrubber.

It's on the 90 and it is primarily used as a pod farm for the mandarin fish. I have not noticed any difference in the nitrates from using it. I think the idea is good but am not sure the expense for an algae scrubber is worth the supposed benefits. Mine is just a side benefit of having the pod farm and was not intended to be an algae scrubber.

from what Ive been reading there are many different kinds. some have a soil base, while others have (walls) to get water passing over as much algae (surface area) as possible

Back
Top Bottom