Algae wars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Self-reliance (tm)
Edit- tell us more and post pics??
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Depends on the type of algae. Algae appears for various reasons. And almost all can be fixed by just figuring out the problem.

The exception is Black Beard/Brush algae. This can be spot treated with H2O2 to keep it under control.

How long are your lights on daily?

Any natural sunlight?

Caleb

Depends on the type of algae. Algae appears for various reasons. And almost all can be fixed by just figuring out the problem.

The exception is Black Beard/Brush algae. This can be spot treated with H2O2 to keep it under control.

How long are your lights on daily?

Any natural sunlight?

Caleb

The algae’s are dark brown and sticks to the rocks and plastic plants. I change the water once a week 50%. I don’t over feed but I do throw in a food tablet for my catfish. I have two bristlenose algae eaters. I have my one light on for seven hours. I never use all three lights. I have no sunlight reaching my tank. I do a water test once a month and find that sometimes my Nitrates are as high as forty if I’m late in my water change. Most of the time it’s more like twenty.

I need to pay more attention, but I wonder if the occasional zucchini I feed them could contribute to the algae. I say this because I might go three or four weeks with very little algae and then I get a lot of it in one week. It’s like when it comes, it comes fast.

It’s also easily removed with a scrubber.

I don’t like taking everything out to clean things so that’s why I was hoping there was some kind of product that could help.

try an earth eater cichlids..... maybe some larger growing amano shrimp too, but if your cichlids are large use loaches preferable clown loaches

try an earth eater cichlids..... maybe some larger growing amano shrimp too, but if your cichlids are large use loaches preferable clown loaches

I'm not sure that clown loaches are a solution for algae. The amano shrimp sound like a snack in an mbuna tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not sure that clown loaches are a solution for algae. The amano shrimp sound like a snack in an mbuna tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would Amano shrimp survive in an Mbuna Cichlid aquarium?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Would Amano shrimp survive in an Mbuna Cichlid aquarium?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

No way. So based off what little information you've provided, adjust lighting to 6 hours a day. Perform a weekly 50% wc and try to remove what you can with a brush prior to wc's. A bn pleco will consume that brown alage, they also make a ton of waste so it's not an even trade. The cichlids probably appreciate the alage for grazing as they're herbivores.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a couple of super active Nerits snails in my 55 gallon. They took care of all my algae problems. Since Nerites will lay eggs that won't hatch in freshwater, they're a safe addition to the tank. The little white eggs on driftwood may be an annoyance if it matter to you.

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

Back
Top Bottom