Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello lord...

A type of hair algae. It's generally a sign you're keeping a relatively clean tank. Livebearing fish are good algae eaters. Platys and Swordtails are good, hardy species. They do best in larger tanks, so hopefully this is what you have.

Large, frequent water changes will help reduce algae and if you reduce the amount of food you feed your fish, this will help too. Avoid flaked food that's high in phosphate.

B

Is it only occurring near the surface of do you see it throughout the tank? If it is near the surface it may be due to the lights being on too long or simply too strong. I'd first start with physical removal using a tooth brush. I had a problem with hair algae in my shrimp tank and decreasing the lights plus the addition of floating plants helped deter it.

Hello lord...

A type of hair algae. It's generally a sign you're keeping a relatively clean tank. Livebearing fish are good algae eaters. Platys and Swordtails are good, hardy species. They do best in larger tanks, so hopefully this is what you have.

Large, frequent water changes will help reduce algae and if you reduce the amount of food you feed your fish, this will help too. Avoid flaked food that's high in phosphate.

B

Cool, thanks. Glad to know it's not neglect on my part. This is a 10 gallon, heavily planted low-tech with one pea puffer, one amano, and one dwarf crayfish. Maybe i need more cleanup crew. I do water 50% water changes every two weeks. Thanks again for the advice!

Is it only occurring near the surface of do you see it throughout the tank? If it is near the surface it may be due to the lights being on too long or simply too strong. I'd first start with physical removal using a tooth brush. I had a problem with hair algae in my shrimp tank and decreasing the lights plus the addition of floating plants helped deter it.

It seems to be attached to any plant that's not moss, but yes, mostly concentrated directly under my light. I keep it on for about 5-6 hours a day. (Too long?) Im paranoid about my Monte Carlo carpeting staying healthy.

5-6 is not too long. What kind of lights are you using?
Monte Carlo carpet without CO2? Nice. What is your substrate and fertilizer regime?

5-6 is not too long. What kind of lights are you using?
Monte Carlo carpet without CO2? Nice. What is your substrate and fertilizer regime?

It's a 5w led (500 lumen). I do have co2. It's just a budget setup. Tropica system 60 with disposable cannisters. Wanted to see if I could manage plants before investing in a serious injection system. The substrate is tropica plant growth. Fertilizer is tropica plant growth as well. Once a week. My first try at a heavily planted tank.IMG_2568.jpg

Back
Top Bottom