Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can somebody identify the green algae in this picture, and suggest a method of controlling it other than ripping it out? any specific fish/invertebrates that might target it? spreads like wildfire and my hermits won't touch it.

Attachments

• img_1133.jpg
    img_1133.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 98
Im not to sure of what kind it is but I know its a type of macro algae. I dont think there is any livestock that will control it. Most the time you will find algae like that in a sump/refugium. I would keep it in there and when it grows just cut the bigger pieces off. It is helping to control your nitrates.

Looks like grape caulerpa. Really, manual removal is the only way I know of to remove it. It's great for nutrient export but can be a real pain due to it's fast growth. My blue legged hermits love it, as does my yellow tang and sailfin blenny. Good luck.

I have a refugium full of it. It is grape calerpa. It is the favorite food of tangs everywhere or at least in my tank. I cannot grow this stuff fast enough for my tangs.

Back
Top Bottom