Algaefix??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MantisX

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all. this is my first post here. I have a planted aquarium with a horrible case of "green water" I saw 2 types of products while browsing today. Algone, and algaefix. Has anyone had any experience with either of these products? Are they safe for my fish and plants? What else can I do to prevent this stuff from coming back? Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
MantisX
Otis

Do not use these products. You need to get your tanks in balance to prevent the GW outbreaks. Please give us your tank stats, size, light, pH, kH, gH, what your fish load is, how many plants, what the nitrate and phosphate levels are, how long the tank has been set up. Then we can give you more help.

Hi. My tank is a 10 gallon with 35 watts of light(20 in the rear, 15 in the front). My current fish load is one german ram. Due to the current conditions, im afraid to add more fish. It is also packed to the rim with snails, which do a great job. The tank is fully planted except for the rear right corner of the tank.(id like to see my plants before I plant anymore) I have stargrass, vallisneria, hair grass, saggitaria, pearlgrass and rotala. The strange thing is, the plants are doing the best ive ever grown, I just cant see them. The tank has been setup for about a year now. I believe this outbreak happened once I added the 35 watts of full spectrum lighting. I have had 72 watts of light over this tank before and it didnt trigger any algae at all. But I was told that was too much. My Ph is holding at a steady 6.8. I dont have any other test kits for the kh, gh, etc. I will try to buy a test kit pronto, but in the meantime, what can be done for me the see my tank again? :cry: Thanks all for you help :)

UVC's (Ultra Violet Clarifiers) are excellent for killing algae, however not economical for the smaller fish tanks. Algae fix can not be used with snails, as my experience has been not so good, usually resulting in death of the snails. I really don't know what to tell you, because im not used to water amounts this small. I am used to 3,000-5,000 gallon ponds. MUCH different. I hope I helped a little. :fadein:

For a 10 gallon tank all the normal methods really don't apply. A diatom filter will clear the water but I would not run one on a 10 gallon tank. Same for a UV filter. You need to get your tank in balance, treat the problem not the symptom.

Where do I start treating this problem? Ive stopped using fertilizer of any kind. I even killed the lights for about a day. the water cleared, but less than a day later it was back. If I just drain the tank and start over, will this green cloudy water be waiting on me a day later? I dont see how this can be solved. I have a 29 gallon with no plants in it. I barely even pay attention to it and the water is so clear it looks like theres no water in it.

I will start tonight. Ill feed my one fish tonight and cover it for 3 days. I hope my plants do ok. I must ask though, what are the chances this stuff comes back after the blackout?

I hate to keep asking, but what can I do to address this problem? What else is making the algae grow except for lighting? Ive stopped fertilization and CO2. This is the first time ive had any type of algae in my 3 years of plants. And how ironic that I get one of the worst types the first time around.

MantisX

Stopping the CO2 and ferts are the wrong thing. You need to get a nitrate and a phosphate test kit and check your levels. Also you really need a kH test kit so you can use that and your pH to figure out your CO2 levels. It's all in the balance. You want the following figures.

Nitrates 5-10 ppm
Phosphates 0.5-1.0 ppm
Potassium 10-20 ppm
Iron 0.1-0.3 ppm
CO2 15-25 ppm

If anyone or more of these is either too low or too high you will run into problems.

Cool, that is exactly the info I needed. I will go to my lfs tomorrow and pick up a complete test kit. I am also firing my co2 and fertilization back up. Rex, I really appreciate your patience and help :D I will let you know how it goes!!

Green water is generally the result of one of two things (or a combination of them both)...these are: excess light and excess nutrients. In providing the optimal environment for your plants, you also provided the optimum environment for algae. Your options are limited...either reduce the amount of light you're using so that there is only enough to support your plants or cut back on the amount of fertilizer you're adding.

Many of unicellular algae go through periods of heavy activity and then subside naturally. Often times partial water changes can bring on one of these algal 'rampages'. I suspect that you're supplying more light and/or fertilizer than your plants can use so the excess provides the conditions that allow algae to 'bloom'. Eventually (if you cut back the light and reduce the fertilizer) the algae will use all of the excess nutrients and will begin to die back. From that point on...use only enough fertilizer to keep your plants thriving.

Beware if the water gets to the 'soupy' stage or gets really opaque. Just like the algae can 'bloom' with excess light and nutrients, it will also 'crash' when the light and/or nutrient levels fall. A warning signal that this is about to occur will be if the water takes on a slightly yellowish tint. The decomposing dead algae will cause a bacterial bloom as the bacteria feed on the algal cells and this may cause a DRAMATIC reduction in oxygen levels to the point of killing your fish.

Oh no, I just covered my tank today and my ram is still in there. I have a tank but its full of tougher cichlids and I dont think hed make it in there. I plan to keep the tank covered for 2-3 days. Will he make it? or should I cease the blackout? I have stopped fertilization completely other than what is in the substrate, but rex susgested that I not do that.

Thanks

MantisX

I'd find a quick temporary home for that Ram. Over the next few days...with no light...those algae are going to die in large numbers and the bacteria are going to have a field day! If you can't get the Ram out....make sure that there is PLENTY of aeration!!

As for cutting the fertilizing completely...I agree with Rex. I would, however, cut back on how much you're using when you get the tank to a happy middle ground. All good things in moderation!!

Hi. I dont trust the evil but loveable :) cichlids in my other tank with my only male ram so I will see if I can get some aeration in there pronto. After the 3 days are up, I should have a test kit by then and I will pour the co2 and ferts back to it. I just hope I dont lose a ram in the process. Thanks fruitbat.

I have another quick question. Since newly added water adds oxygen to the water, could I still do the blackout, but at the end of every day, siphon some green water off and add new freshwater for the ram? Will this have the same effect of getting rid of the algae? Would it be enough to keep the ram up until I can get the lights back on?

Thanks

Otis

That would certainly help, MantisX...in addition to adding oxygen back to some degree it will also remove some of the dead and dying algae and reduce the load on the tank.

Cool!! 8) My plan at this point then, is to continue the light kill for 3 days and siphoning as I go. I know this will take alot of work but im willing to do it to at least get closer to solving the problem. I have laterite in my substrate. If I can get the water clear I want to check to see if my fish maybe dug up some of it and if thats feeding the algae. Thanks for the great advice fruit. This place rocks!! Wish me luck!!

MantisX

It sounds like frequent water changes, 10 to 15% daily, would help get your tank back in balance. Were you doing routine 20 to 30% changes weekly prior to the algae outbreak? :?:

Back
Top Bottom