Algea eaters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
River blennies. Usually on the FW market, but naturally a brackish animal. IF bought from a FW tank, acclimate slowly. Great little fish. Gets about 3 1/2" to 4".

FW River Blenny

Here is a picture I have. There are two species I know of, but don't know the scientific name. I can ask my supplier within the next couple of days. One he calls topside river blenny and the other he calls crocodile blenny. Can't find anything in a google search under either name. They both look very similar to each other. I think one has more of a pronounced stripe on the side with reddish fins and the other a bit more solid. Don't remember which one is which. Not a common fish. I can only seem to get them through one supplier.

They look a lot like chinese algae eaters at first glance. They have the same basic ground color. Biggest difference other than being a smaller size than the chinese algae eater is that they don't pester other fish and don't seem to mind their own kind. Cute little fish. Not pretty, but they do a good job without destroying plants too. Another plus to the fish.

I'll see what I can do about getting a sci name for ya :)

Attachments

• fwblenny.jpg
    fwblenny.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 32
I know someone who's kept them in ponds with salt, but I don't know how tolerant of salt they are. Also, depending on the fish you have, chinese algae eaters can become a threat to other fish when they get bigger. They can also do damage to plants. So, if you have large aggresive fish, then the chinese algae eater may do. If not though, there aren't any other algae eaters for brackish that I know of. Possibly american flag fish. I've heard of them doing good with pond over growth.

Back
Top Bottom