All Dead-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dre2142

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had posted this on another forum before doing more research-

Okay....so my son has a 25 gallon tank, and he had a mickey mouse platy in there, along with another that I forget the name of. Its long and slender, and it had grown to about 7 inches. They lived fine for the last year together. I added 2 dalmations and a Pleco, and they seemed to be ok.
Over the last few days the longer fish has been going kinda crazy.....going to the top, and staying vertical with his mouth out of the top of the water.
The Platy started doing the same thing, and he looked flaky. Next thing I know hes dead....then one of the dalmations......then the other, and the pleco is now dead as well.
The longer fish has some small dots on it that Ive never noticed before. Could they somehow be oxygen deprived? Did one of the new fish bring something with it and contaminate the tank?
Now Im down to the one longer fish. If the water was contaminated, what is my next step? Draining it and starting over?
EDIT: Its a dragon gobi...looks exactly like the one that is one page back.
Did he outgrow the tank?

If I understand it correctly, my fish died of Ich....and ultimately died due to my lack of knowledge on the subject. That being said, Im now doing my research and my son and I are going to start over.

Its been 24 hours since the last fish was removed from my tank. What is the next step? Since there are no fish, the Ich should be clear in a couple of days, correct? We currently have a filtration system that sucks water up and then back out into the top of the tank, cascading down. Should I add an airstone as well?

What temperature should the tank be kept at?

Alright, how long before the symptoms started was your last change or addition in the tank? (i.e. new fish, new decor).

How long since your last water change, and what type of maintenance do you do (how often, how much, etc).

You'll need to take a full suite of water parameters. Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, pH and temperature to help us diagnose.

I suspect something happened causing an ammonia spike very high. This is why the fish were gasping for air, and the added stress induced the Ich. once the ich kicked in, combined with the ammonia spikes, this is what did them in.

I'm just speculating at this point, if you answer those questions hopefully we can zero in on what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom