All Fish Died now there's mold growing in my tank! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't be afraid to use Amquel. I can't comment on Amquel+ because I never used it. Amquel has been working fine for me for a few years. The key is to just use enough to initially treat your tap water. I use 8 drops or so per gallon. When used in this way, it won't interfere with the cycle.

Don't add a large amount of Amquel to the tank to treat an ammonia spike. That will just cover up the problem of what is causing the ammonia spike. For the same reason, don't use Ammo Lock. That product will bind to the ammonia in the tank so it's isn't as harmful to the fish, but it will interfere with the cycle. Water changes are the best bet until the ammonia comes down and your tank is cycled again.

Since you don't have fish now (sorry about your fish :( ) once the ammonia and nitrites are at 0, and you show some nitrates, I would keep the tank "fed" with some fish food. That will feed the good bacteria until you get more fish. I once kept a tank cycled while the fish were in a QT tank for 5 days by just putting food in. Fishyfanatic, do you mean supplement with pure ammonia to keep the cycle going? You could do that, although it's hard to tell the proper amount of ammonia needed to keep a tank cycled. The fish food method should work for a short time.

When you move, keep the bio-wheels wet in a bucket of tank water, and I would keep as many things as possible in tank water -- the gravel also if possible. After it's set up again, you may see a small ammonia spike, but it should be a small spike that doesn't last very long.

When you move, put the filter pads in tank water to preserve the bacteria. Use the same gravel/decor/and as much tank water as you can move. I did this with the 55 gal and the tank never had a mini cycle. It was completly cycled.

Your best bet is to use as little chemicals as possible. We use dechlor and that's about it. I added salt to the 150 to combat an unknown disease but now that I know what the disease is, we are using a medication. The only reason why we are using medication is because the salt treatment didn't work. In the future, try not to use chemicals unless it is absolutely necessary. Good Luck! I hope it all works out for you.

Thanks a lot for all of your help. I appreciate it. The tank ammonia is still at 1 so I'm just going to let it cycle for now and not worry about any fish. One final question while I'm on the subject. Maybe I should check the other forums. My swords are getting pale and translucent. Is there anything special I can do in order to keep them healthy?

Swords as in swordtales or sword plants? You may want to post this question in the Unhealthy Fish forum or Planted forum.

Back
Top Bottom