All male swordtails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Was just wondering if it's possible to do an all male swordtail tank. 10 gallon so I would only put 3 in tops also it will be pretty well planted with low light plants like Anubias and crypts. Maybe a small piece of driftwood. I want to set up a small swordtail tank tank for my mom for mothers day because she loves swords.

I don't suggest sword tails for a 10g tank due to their size. IME, platies would be ok though. They stay smaller and are just as colorful.

I have 3 females in a 20 gallon and even they seem to "square off" often; and I've seen two male swordtails in a 15. One bullied the other into a corner for the whole day except when they were being fed. So certainly not a 10 gallon with more than 1 male, if any at all. :) they seem to be somewhat aggressive fish towards their own kind, or the ones I've seen.

+1 I agree with Angel.

I wouldn't do all males though. I've had so many different occasions with males being bullies and it usually doesn't end well. I've had males kill each other before :( If possible, I'd do all females.

Gotcha I'm just trying to prevent babies they can fill up a tank quick with these guys. I like the the platy idea and all females would work but maybe I'll just do something like micro fish with some fire shrimp or something

Back
Top Bottom