ALL of my fish are sick, overnight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNeal28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Out of nowhere my fish are sick!

In 24 hours I've lost 7 guppies! Several others are in very bad shape. It almost appears as though they are disolving. Their faces look white and fuzzy, and on a few it seems to be spreading back on their bodies. Some of them are bloated, and a few have a dark pink/red strand coming out of their abdomen. My sunset gourami has turned a dusty grey color and is acting distressed and nervous.

My shrimp and loach seem to be fine.

I do 25% water changes every week. Current conditions:
pH 7.4
Ammonia .00 ppm
Nitrite .10 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm

I did a 50% water change last night. Lost two more fish overnight.

ANY thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hi sorry to hear of your loses:(
How long have you been running the aquarium?
The nitrite reading is rather high,indicating either the tank isn't matured or the filter has crashed for some reason.
Do you use a dechlorinater when you change the water?
How do you clean the filter?

Thank you! It's been running since January.

I have a fluval aqua clear. I rinse the filter media each time I water change, and do a quick dip in the dechlorinated water before placing back in the filter. I rotate the replacement of one portion of the media each month (sponge, carbon, biomax).

I use an API water conditioner to treat our tapwater.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased two new guppies, and one of them died about a week and a half ago. I didn't really think much of it honestly. But now I sure am!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

it is columnaris, in the future you need to treat with a combo of Kanamycin sul. antibiotic and Furan-2 for fungus, or my favorite is to use Oxytetracycline feed and methylene blue, in a hospital tank, along with salt.
No need to treat them now, their probably all gonna die, but in the future it helps to have a gram negative antibiotic on hand, and its best administered thru their feed, if their still eating and you catch it early on.
Maracyn-2 works in a pinch, but maracyn 2 (minocycline) and oxytetracycline are not very effective at high PH and hard water, so kanamycin is a good new antibiotic, just don't overdose with it as it can cause kidney damage and death. Kanamycin is fine in the water at higher ph and GH. Good luck (y)

Back
Top Bottom