All of the CO2 questions (for my tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Create an account with Imgur or Photobucket, upload your pics there and post the image's links in your posts.
You can become a subscribed member on AA and this should grant you more server space for pics.
Hiding the CO2 tank is a bonus.

30314940753_d367bd461d_k.jpg

Tell me, guys- is it possible to keep a higher pH with pressurized CO2?

I've already moved my mystery snails to the 10 gallon because their shells showed some erosion. Rabbit snails and trapdoor snails are supposed to be okay until 6.5, but yesterday my pH was 6.4. I added a teaspoon of baking soda as a temporary measure. I keep the 10 gallon water very hard and a bit cooler, and so I can't just switch critters between tanks willy nilly.

I'm okay with a pH of 6.5, but I'm really not comfortable going lower than that. I know that generally a stable pH is more important than a target pH, but that starts to break down when shells start breaking down.

I also don't want to permanently move all of my snails to the 10 gallon because 1. it's too small for four nerites, two mysteries, three rabbits, and a trapdoor with seven tiny babies; and 2. I really like having the clean-up crew.

So how do I keep my pH at or above 6.5 while adding CO2?

Also, CO2 is CO2, right? A bubble of any given volume is the same amount of CO2 whether it comes from compressed gas or yeast, right? Because pressurized is definitely increasing dissolved CO2, but my bubble count is not higher. I never measured actual bubble volume, but they look like the same size. Is the yeast CO2 less concentrated?

So, somewhat off topic from this particular thread, but I'm excited anyway- we moved both tanks on Saturday because the stand they were both on was coming apart. I was certain this would uncycle the tanks. Sunday we had trace ammonia, but yesterday we had absolutely none. And zero nitrites, too. I can't even tell you how happy I am about that.

U can get a ph controller to stop your co2 at 6.5 then once it climbs it starts the co2 again. However this does limit the co2 u are injecting so u may not hit that target of 30ppm.

I know that ph drop due to co2 doesn't harm fish in anyway but I'm not sure about snails etc. it could be a lack of calcium making there shells abit brittle?

U can move your tanks around as much as u like aslong as u keep your media wet and keep the substrate.
Completely draining the tanks of water shouldn't really have any effect, however people do suggest keeping as much wAter as possible.

I had to move house with 2 tanks about 8 months back. One was 30g (nice and easy) the other was my 120g with my 30cm Oscar.
Safe to say he was angry with me for atleast 3 weeks after the move haha. I kept 3 large storage containers of water out of his tank then just filled the rest with tap water. Took me all day to move 2 tanks 15 minutes up the road ;)

U can purchase ph controllers off eBay or Amazon but I'm not a fan of them because of the limiting factor and they have a probe that sits in the tank. The less stuff I can have in my tank me better if u ask me ;)

Tell me, guys- is it possible to keep a higher pH with pressurized CO2?

I've already moved my mystery snails to the 10 gallon because their shells showed some erosion. Rabbit snails and trapdoor snails are supposed to be okay until 6.5, but yesterday my pH was 6.4. I added a teaspoon of baking soda as a temporary measure. I keep the 10 gallon water very hard and a bit cooler, and so I can't just switch critters between tanks willy nilly.

I'm okay with a pH of 6.5, but I'm really not comfortable going lower than that. I know that generally a stable pH is more important than a target pH, but that starts to break down when shells start breaking down.

I also don't want to permanently move all of my snails to the 10 gallon because 1. it's too small for four nerites, two mysteries, three rabbits, and a trapdoor with seven tiny babies; and 2. I really like having the clean-up crew.

So how do I keep my pH at or above 6.5 while adding CO2?

Also, CO2 is CO2, right? A bubble of any given volume is the same amount of CO2 whether it comes from compressed gas or yeast, right? Because pressurized is definitely increasing dissolved CO2, but my bubble count is not higher. I never measured actual bubble volume, but they look like the same size. Is the yeast CO2 less concentrated?

So, somewhat off topic from this particular thread, but I'm excited anyway- we moved both tanks on Saturday because the stand they were both on was coming apart. I was certain this would uncycle the tanks. Sunday we had trace ammonia, but yesterday we had absolutely none. And zero nitrites, too. I can't even tell you how happy I am about that.

You can add crushed coral to the filter. This will raise KH which will buffer against ph drop. Co2 will still be the same you will just require more of it to reduce the ph which may help the snail shells.

I know that ph drop due to co2 doesn't harm fish in anyway but I'm not sure about snails etc. it could be a lack of calcium making there shells abit brittle?

You can add crushed coral to the filter. This will raise KH which will buffer against ph drop. Co2 will still be the same you will just require more of it to reduce the ph which may help the snail shells.

A lack of calcium very well could have been the issue. I didn't even think of that. I keep a cuttlebone in the guppy tank.

U can move your tanks around as much as u like aslong as u keep your media wet and keep the substrate.
Completely draining the tanks of water shouldn't really have any effect, however people do suggest keeping as much wAter as possible.

Oh my goodness that's good to hear. I kept about 7 gallons of water from the 29 gallon tank. I messed up the cycle a couple of months ago when I took substrate out, so I was nervous.

You can also add calcium to their diets by feeding broccoli or other veggies high in calcium. Snails shells need carbonates too so adding both calcium carbonate from crushed coral will raise ph, add calcium and carbonates.

That's a 3 way protection and the fourth would be to feed calcium based foods to them.

You can also add calcium to their diets by feeding broccoli or other veggies high in calcium. Snails shells need carbonates too so adding both calcium carbonate from crushed coral will raise ph, add calcium and carbonates.

That's a 3 way protection and the fourth would be to feed calcium based foods to them.

I make snail jello for my lot too. Similar to this but I add blanched chopped kale too. https://youtu.be/PDbhFDtj7KY

That's a great tutorial. I think I would make some substitutions- for example I have severe celiac disease (lost an organ to it), so I don't buy fish food with gluten in it. Fish don't benefit from it, so there's no reason to bring it into my house. I also made my own baby food when my little person was eating pureed vegetables.

I think with a food processor I could whip together something totally worthwhile.

I know there's a way to have both happy plants and happy snails, so I'm going to figure out how to make it work.

···

Another question-
We're going to be away from home for a couple of days. I should just turn the CO2 off, right?

That's a great tutorial. I think I would make some substitutions- for example I have severe celiac disease (lost an organ to it), so I don't buy fish food with gluten in it. Fish don't benefit from it, so there's no reason to bring it into my house. I also made my own baby food when my little person was eating pureed vegetables.

I think with a food processor I could whip together something totally worthwhile.

I know there's a way to have both happy plants and happy snails, so I'm going to figure out how to make it work.

···

Another question-
We're going to be away from home for a couple of days. I should just turn the CO2 off, right?

Yeah they'll be ok for a couple of days.

Hope you manage to work it out.

If u put your co2 on s timer u don't need to worry about it while your away :) I've gone away for a few weekends since my tanks been running and it basically runs itself

If u put your co2 on s timer u don't need to worry about it while your away :) I've gone away for a few weekends since my tanks been running and it basically runs itself
I don't even have my needle valve yet! One baby step at a time.

The first night the system was hooked up, even though I turned it off at the regulator, I dreamt that I woke up to all of the critters laying on the bottom.

I don't even have my needle valve yet! One baby step at a time.

The first night the system was hooked up, even though I turned it off at the regulator, I dreamt that I woke up to all of the critters laying on the bottom.

Ahh I see! Haha I had a similar dream the first night I set mine up! Only I was worried that the tank would blow up and go through the bottom of my tank haha ;)

···

Another question-

It's a great way to insure they are getting their calcium. I tried putting a cuttle bone in the tank and they never touched it.

Back
Top Bottom