All possible shrimp death (pps-pro)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need to know, all the possible reason that shrimps (like red crystal shrimps) would die, using dry fertilizer, specialy PPS-pro ( please, subject stay on dry fert if it possible, its cheaper and its a long used product.) Tell me what you think. I will add and make some change on this list as you add info on this thread. If i can right down all the solutions, by finding my own problems, I will be proud to help at least one person that find this tread useful.

Seems to me, that adding all the macro and micro just before the light go on, will stress all the shrimps and create some death. In all truth, adding nitrate, iron and GH(calcium, magnesium) change,will stress and kills shrimps. Even if you dose haft in the morning haft in they afternoon. The real solution should be auto electronic drop dossing all day.

Problem can occur from adding CSM+B.
If you have to much iron form only adding the macro, you can reduce the dosage. Creating maybe algae from some other macro deficiency.(solution ?)

Killers:
Iron, Fe.( adding iron over .1 mg from CSM+B)
nitrate (overdose 10mg,)
copper (trace from micro is ok, but they are affected by it)
calcium and magnesium (change the gh and create some stress. if you have soft water )

It ok with:
potassium (no overdose possible)
Phosphate (shrimps don't care, good at .3)

unknown effect. Please add comments on that to:
sulfate
mono potassium
calcium from cuttlefish bone.
seachem prime overdose
Playing in your aquarium to fix thing
loosing dust particle from substrate all the time

Normal parameter
(kh 5), (gh 5), (ph 6.), (temp 24), (co2 24 hours(stable ph)), (bubble at night), (good light 8 hours), (tap water), (decoration from pet store), (6 months old tanks),(tap water treated with seachem prime).

Others weird killers
electricity leaks from heater (test it using volt meter)
acrylic aquarium leaking copper
driftwood contaminated with salt
substrate has gone anaerobic
Plants detritus (lots of dead plants in filter ans substrate (water smell like egg)
Prime mix with something that you have in your water.

Tanks you all, in advance, for your supports. If you don't understand some text, go right away and tell me.

I've been using CSM+B +kno3+k2so4+mgso4 in a PMDD solution for a year or so with shrimp without any noticeable side effects. Also used root tabs with the same formula plus red clay. Likewise with a GH boost from dolomite powder camg(co3)2, never really measured exact amounts but just a sprinkle in after water changes.

I've used excel very conservatively as well but I have heard that heavy excel dosing definitely hurts them (and sensitive plants).

Yep, A lot of people are using it and having great result. I notice that you did not add any kh2p04. May you abbreviate on that.

I actually envy you. I use almost they exact same formula and something is not right. I'm guessing with time, it will be resolve. For know, lets put all are thinking power to the test. After all this is for futur generation.

I think you are focusing the wrong direction. I'd be looking at heavy metals or copper or some such. Because the only problem in the tank seems to be the shrimp. Maybe you've got a contaminated batch of fert or something.

I have no proof or special knowledge of any kind. That just my thoughts on it. I wish there were better answers.

That's interesting. Can you test heavy metals?

And a other thing.. I have a new aqueduct. I imagine it can and probably make a lot worst quality water. After all the government LOVE it when they cut on quality and add it in ther poquets.

I would be more worries about the sulfides/sulfites from the anaerobic spots. If you can smell it, its probably a problem.

Copper is also a concern. I dont think that iron is a huge problem. Do you know if your place has copper pipes?

Looking back for the reason i decided to have they aquarium is really not what i expected. Now i take pride to add my experince and helps others by finding all the possible solution. But for now, i am regretting that i did not by the master test kit for 100$

For the great question you asked:
I am thinking that i have a smell of peacock moss. It very strong smell so they aquarium is bound to smell a little bit of it. About sulfides/sulfites, I am not familiar with the concept of it. I am pretty sure, that prime remove it from tap water. Maybe it come from other thing like fertilizers and filters?

About the copper. yep- its a old part of the city. So i have a good chance i do have copper pipe. In any case, im going to know tomorow. I getting good price for a copper test 30$ wow.(sarcastic)

Finding out the solution is a real challenge in it self. Once it found, its a real mystery resolve from the best minds.^_-

The sulfide smell is the rotten egg smell that you describe. It comes from the anaerobic substrate pockets you mentioned.

Prime probably doesnt remove it. Without knowing the exact mechanism of how prime detoxifies stuff, I wouldn't be able to venture a guess.

Humm... do aquarium smell in any ways? I hope your wrong and i am to. Seem to me that if i do have anaerobic substrate, they only solution is UGF, or remove my rock and my mountain of substrate. image starting all over, sniff sniff.

I don't have time to clean all the substrate while doing a water change, it very deep. Maybe i am doing something wrong. To mush moving the gravel is a possibility.
I dont know if that help, i added a koralia 250 gph because my aquarium filter lost a lot of power from diffuser.

Here my aquarium.

s0.34.jpg

You don't need an UGF. You just need to be willing to dig your gravel vac into those deep piles and diffuse the gas pockets that seem to be forming.

By the way, This is great, I love all the time your helping me figuring out what going on with this greasy guys. My aquarium wood be in the garbage by now.

As long as you clean your gravel with a siphon while doing water changes, you should be fine. you should be doing that anyway to reduce waste buildup, since nitrates aren't great for shrimp either. If it's not the substrate, copper is a suspect. I once had shrimp in a tank in which I had dosed copper meds a year before(same gravel), and it killed them pretty fast. Have you ever dosed copper meds in that tank, before it had shrimp? A test kit probably won't help you, most of the cheaper copper kits are not accurate.

--Adeeb

About copper meds.
I did a long time ago, only my glass aquarium was subject to it, nothing in my aquarium was originally bin there. Maybe the plastic from the Filter.

About the copper.
I just went to get a copper test. Fortunately, there had one. Unfortunately it was expired 2 years ago. They had they red sea copper test. o well, i am getting a other one in 1 week. I will tell you the result of that then.

The gravel
That darn gravel is laughing at me, because he knows i can't clean it up with out destroying my plants. its gonna be a pain.

One more thing.
I notice when adding my macro all (3 super power shrimps, thats left) look very uncomfortable, (no sure, but possible) maybe even death a cure . In my mix i added Potassium nitrate to have a level equivalent to 8 ppm, i did that because of low fish = to low nitrate for plants to grow. Hope i was not wrong to do that.

Keep nitrates low but 8ppm should be fine. It's possible that the copper meds left some remnants(I've heard it can be absorbed into the silicone in the tank). Not sure how likely that is, but it is a possibility. You should be fine siphoning the gravel, it won't harm your plants. Just don't crush the roots.

-Adeeb

I am redoing my mix, macro and micro , maybe i had some contaminant. In the same time i will be siphoning the gravel.

Tomorrow i will make a nice diffuser to be able to have a bigger pressure
Maybe, just maybe I will have time to heat.

I wake up in the middle of the night, and think of something important. I am using Epson salt for my magnesium. shrimps and salt don't mix right. Anyone is using that for shrimps? Maybe the purity is to low compare to a aquarium fertilizer store .

Back
Top Bottom