Allergic to fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I was never crazy about seafood, and I have just figured out that I am allergic to some fish foods. I have had two periods in the last 5 years when I developed severe rhinitis with eye itching, tearing and redness. The last one was about 4 years ago, when I had a fish tank running that had fish requiring frozen blood worms. I might have had some tubifex worms around also. Last week, after bringing some freeze dried tubifex worms home and giving them to my fish, the symptoms started again.
I have never had allergy symptoms other than those two times. My symptoms resolved completely over a month or so after a move when I did not set the tanks back up, and returned now that I have had contact with the tubifex worms.

I suppose I will have to use gloves when handling the worms from now on.

I developed severe rhinitis with eye itching, tearing and redness
Wash your hands too. You may have touched your face or eyes inadverently. I some times do quick drive-by feedings on the way out the house and forget to wash my hands after. :oops:

Sorry to hear that! I think I'm allergic to the foods too (well, I'm allergic to everything else, so why not fish food too?) :lol:

The first sinking wafer I got for my pleco had corn ingredients in it (I'm allergic to corn) in it. I didn't check the ingredients, and my whole arm got red and blotchy. I figured so much corn filler isn't good for him anyway, so I got a different brand. Once I poured a bit of freeze-dried bloodworms in my hand for only 5 seconds, and then I washed my hands very well afterward. My hand itched for the whole day. I don't touch the fish foods anymore. I use long tweezers to handle the sinking wafers, and I feed the bettas their pellets and freeze-dried bloodworms on a plastic spoon.

Have you seen these gloves? They're nice. You can use them two, maybe three times before they leak, and they aren't bulky at all.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8162&N=2004+113166

These gloves are good for water changes too. The bloodworms or tubifex worms have been in your tank water, so I wouldn't do a water change without gloves too. After using that first sinking wafer that I had trouble with, a few days later I reached into the tank to put some spinach in on a clip. My whole arm instantly got red again, so you may have to be careful anytime you're doing maintenance too.

So far I have only noticed it after I handle the food directly, didn't wash my hands, and of course rubbed my face afterwards. Symptoms last 24 to 48 hours. Says right on the package to beware allergies, so this must be somewhat common for the worm foods. I just didn't know I was one of them, since I never had any allergies to anything else. I am hoping that washing afterwards will stop it, otherwise it's glove time. Luckily, I can "borrow" them from work. :)

I use rubber dish washing gloves for handling fish, plants, food, etc. I cant put my hands in the tank without getting a rash so I use the full arm gloves linked above.

At least you are allergic to the fish food and not your fish... :roll:

I'm a nerd! But for real, sorry to hear about that. I guess be thankful that the symptoms don't include your throat swelling up or anything!! 8O

-brent

If the tubifex are freeze dried then they are probably powdery a bit right. It might really help if when you opened the package you put some water in it right away so the powder wouldn't get airborn. The could then be stored in the freezer.

Sorry - Big pain

Well, I just had to see what would happen if I handled the tubifex again (a sane person would throw them away and avoid them, but.....). This time I stuck the worms to the tank glass, then immediately rinsed my hands in a sink. 3 hours and no symptoms! I am hoping last time it was because I got the residue directly from my hands onto my face, and that with a little care It won't happen again. I don't have any problem with latex gloves, I just hate using them. Tomorrow I will get some frozen bloodworms and see what kind of reaction they will cause.

If you indeed have a bloodworm allergy, I would suggest no longer using them at all. If you must, gloves are a minimum, and a surgical mask is a very good idea, especially with freeze-dried worms, as the powdered bits are very easily aeresolised. The reason I say this is that most people I have encountered that have exp[erienced a spontaneously ocurring bloodworm allergy find that the reaction increases, often severely, with each exposure....and anaphylaxis is not fun.

TomK2, if you have any other great articles beside the one about the nitrogen cycle, could you please list them before you do anymore "allergie-testing". I can tell from that article that you like to research, but unfortunately increased exposure to allergens in their "pure" form does not make the reaction diminish over time, even if you try......
Please stay around. You are an asset to this forum.

Well, I was out of town for a day, not in the hospital! Just washing the hands seems to prevent symptoms. I am working on one more article, but it will take a while. I am trying to compose an article on understanding test kit chemistry, with mention of things that can effect results, and anything else I can find. Unfortunately, the book that goes in depth into this stuff is like $250 and not stocked by my local library, nor is it available through the regional inter-library loan. Of course, I might be able to have the library borrow it from somewhere farther away, but then I would be committed to finishing my research in a short period of time. Thus, I don't want to start it until I am sure I can finish it quickly.

man i have an allergy to my fish food too.... but if i breathe near it my throat would swell and it was hard to breathe, and my eyes would swell SHUT... it sucked when i would feed my fish before school and walk in to my first class with one eye swollen shut.... but they did send me home a lot cuz it looked like pink eye but after bout 2hours it would go away so id spend the day cleaning fish tanks

wow that sucks. do you know what exactly it is that you're allergic to? i pictured someone feeding their fish while wearing a biosuit when i saw this thread but now it doesnt sound so funny :|

blue_neon said:
man i have an allergy to my fish food too.... but if i breathe near it my throat would swell and it was hard to breathe, and my eyes would swell SHUT... it sucked when i would feed my fish before school and walk in to my first class with one eye swollen shut.... but they did send me home a lot cuz it looked like pink eye but after bout 2hours it would go away so id spend the day cleaning fish tanks

Geez, that is way worse than I have it!

Tom: I would like to stress what Toirtis & carpediem have already told you. When the body encounters an alergen it becomes more sensitive to it. The next reaction me be like blue neon's or worse, even if the exposure is smaller or shorter. Take care of yourself we need you around here.

xray said:
Tom: I would like to stress what Toirtis & carpediem have already told you. When the body encounters an alergen it becomes more sensitive to it. The next reaction me be like blue neon's or worse, even if the exposure is smaller or shorter. Take care of yourself we need you around here.

Awe, shucks!

I hear you though. Just the eye tearing, redness and nasal congestion is enough incentive to be careful! I now make sure I wash my hands immediately after handling the worm foods, and have not had any more symptoms. If that ever fails, I can use gloves. If that fails, I'll get my wife or kids to do it for me. I love watching the fish go nuts for the worms, and might try a spiny eel or elephantnose that require them. With care, I think I can prevent any further sensitization.

You guys were right about the freeze dried stuff, much harder to control where the powder ends up. I used some frozen bloodworms yesterday and it was easier. Funny watching the fish react to a new food. some go nuts right away, others are more cautious.

Back
Top Bottom