almost done cycling!... i think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Cycling my first fish tank (55 gallon). My nitrites have been at .25 or lower but not quite 0 for a couple days now. Is there anything i can do to help it finish up? i just did about a 10-15% water change and about to test water again.

I can't remember if you're doing a fish-in or fishless. I'm guessing fish-in if you did a water change. I think you went through the nitrite spike already, too, right? Forgive me if I'm remembering someone else lol

If you could post all your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), confirm that it's fish-in (or not) and give a summary of the cycle so far (how long, is it converting ammonia, did the nitrites already spike and are now coming down), etc. it'll help.

To answer your question, no there isn't anything you can do to help it along, but you're close now I'd say (if you went through the spike already and if ammonia is being converted). How are your nitrates? Just keep up with the water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite <0.25 and nitrate <20. It shouldn't be long until the double zeroes happen, though, if I'm thinking of the right cycle lol Even when you do see the 0 ammonia and nitrite though I would keep testing every day for 1-2 weeks just to be sure the cycle holds.

I'm "cycling" 55g also... I think. It's had fish in it for 2 months and 6 glowlights died of disease during the cycle. It got cloudy for 1 day and then cleared up. I think its done cycling though. you just have to wait or get some more hardy fish if your really willing to risk it. I'd read up on seeding it.

good memory librarygirl! you were pretty much right on. Fish in already had nitrite spike.
ammonia seems to be 0 possible .25 but most likely less than .25
nitrite is less than .25 but not 0
nitrate is 5-10
i probably should of asked this a while ago but are you supposed to hold test tube up to white part or AGAINST IT. i have a hard time distinguishing between close colors

good memory librarygirl! you were pretty much right on. Fish in already had nitrite spike.
ammonia seems to be 0 possible .25 but most likely less than .25
nitrite is less than .25 but not 0
nitrate is 5-10
i probably should of asked this a while ago but are you supposed to hold test tube up to white part or AGAINST IT. i have a hard time distinguishing between close colors

Yeah it's tough, took me a while to distinguish between 0 and 0.25 of ammonia. I think you're supposed to hold it AGAINST the white part. Try to read it in good light, sometimes the shadows can play tricks on you. You can also try to get some distilled water (or if you know your tap water is 0 ammonia) and compare it to the ammonia reading of the tank to give you an idea of what 0 should look like.

Wow if your ammonia and nitrite are almost 0 then it looks like you are in great shape! Dose it back up again and test tomorrow! (y)

Yeah it's tough, took me a while to distinguish between 0 and 0.25 of ammonia. I think you're supposed to hold it AGAINST the white part. Try to read it in good light, sometimes the shadows can play tricks on you. You can also try to get some distilled water (or if you know your tap water is 0 ammonia) and compare it to the ammonia reading of the tank to give you an idea of what 0 should look like.

Wow if your ammonia and nitrite are almost 0 then it looks like you are in great shape! Dose it back up again and test tomorrow! (y)

I tested again this morning at about 7am and going to again later. when i tested nitrite was deffinetly blue. no signs of purple what so ever, but it wasn't exactly aqua like on the card, what does this mean?

I tested again this morning at about 7am and going to again later. when i tested nitrite was deffinetly blue. no signs of purple what so ever, but it wasn't exactly aqua like on the card, what does this mean?

It might be between 0 and 0.25, just not a number that shows on the chart. I have a lot of experience with the nitrite tube being 0 and when it's zero it'll be the same blue on the card, that sky blue (that I hate right now lol). Also did you check at the 12 hour mark? If you tested this morning and that was 12 hours from when you dosed and your results are close to 0 you are almost done! Just don't dose more than twice in one day, usually the same time of day is best. So if you usually test and dose at night, test tonight and then redose. You're almost there!

Back
Top Bottom