Almost Lost Favorite Fish Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiekelsey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Doing my weekly gravel vacuum & water change today. My blood parrot got sucked into the vacuum and couldn't get out even when I took the suction piece apart. I was just able to reach his tail and pull him backwards out of the tube. Thought he was dead but now appears to be okay.

Wow. Must be a little guy or a big vac. Tube. Glad he's ok.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kind of syphon are u using? Mine can' t even suck up a guppy.

Mine can easily suck up a fish small enough to fit into the vac tube. My vacuum tube is about 2" wide 18" long. It has a boll valve right on top where the hose connects. Normally I stuff the truce into the gravel and clamp it to the tank wall. This way no fish can enter the vacuum end.

When I am actually vacuuming with it, I watch carefully and keep ready to close the valve. So far I have only got one silly Swordtail she swam right into the vacuum and up the hose. Had to close the valve to stop flow, then turn water on to fill tank and open valve on the vac and she came right back out into the tank. No worse for ware.

It is something you have to watch for when vacuuming. I don't vacuum very often and when I do only a small portion of the bottom at a time. To much can cause algae blooms and other issues is what a discovered years back.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I sometimes suck up my fish on accident. I sucked up a tiger barb and a pineapple sword the other day. They are okay though.

Back
Top Bottom