alternate bio-balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yago

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anybody have a alternate for bio-balls than the ones you buy. My local fish store, said they would have to order them, they didn't keep them in stock. One man told me he used hair rollers. What ever works? :D

Hair rollers? Well the bio balls are just plastic right, so I guess that would work. There are perm rods you can buy that are harder plastic than regular "hair rollers" and they have these little spikey things to hold the hair. It would be interesting to see how well that works.

Shotgun wadding is popular in the DIY forum. I use plastic scrubbers in a wet/dry, but always keep my eyes open for a replacement. I *think* what you want is high surface area and many holes that go deep into the material. I believe the hollow shape of the hair rollers won't make them efficent space-wise.

Just FYI: I've read opinions that bio-media isn't necessary, considering there's only enough bacteria for your bio-load. Therefore, the surface area of plants, decorations, other filter media, etc is more than enough.

Apprciate the suggestions, i really do. This set-up is on a 100 gallon tank. I think chicilids or maybe,maybe discus. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom