Alternative pH tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacit Blues

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have the much - lauded API master freshwater test kit. My pH is right in that happy range where if I use the low end pH test I max it out but the high end pH test is very difficult to tell the difference between the bottom three possibilities. I would like to be able to measure my pH more accurately than "it's either 7.2 or 7.4...or maybe 7.6...or even maybe 7.8." Are there any other pH tests out there that cover the 7-8 range differently than the API kit? Or would I need to purchase some fancy expensive electronic gizmo if I wanted that?

Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

I use a digital 'pen' Ph meter. It's not expensive in the long term, about £15.00/$20.00. It needs to be calibrated with Ph7 buffer occasionally. It gives an instant readout +/- 0.1. It's quick to use, portable for all tanks and WCs. My only word of advice is use it gently, rough handling can damage the sensitive probes and give wild readings. I've not used a liquid Ph tester in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've got the same ph trouble and also use a digital pen. Probably calibrate it every 6 months I'd say but I tend to ignore ph so the pen dries out and then get interested in it again. The pen is good for a couple of hundred tests according to the guide.

Recently picked up co2 injection and that has a ph meter which stays immersed in the tank. Yet to do the first cleaning which they suggest should be done every month to remove any algae. Not sure on the meter life although I'm hoping it lasts quite a bit.

That's not as bad as I was expecting for a fancy electronic gizmo, though I suppose it's still about what a whole 'nother test kit runs. What brand/model/whatever do you guys use? And do you just calibrate with deionized water?

That's not as bad as I was expecting for a fancy electronic gizmo, though I suppose it's still about what a whole 'nother test kit runs. What brand/model/whatever do you guys use? And do you just calibrate with deionized water?

I have an API pen and bought a bottle of ph 7 buffer solution to calibrate. Some pens might use a ph4 buffer solution (or so) to calibrate but our tank ph never goes that low.

I have cross-checked it against the liquid test and was fine. But now I use the liquid test to check if the pen is too high (go figure) and needs calibrating.

The immersed ph meter is only if you have way too much time on your hands. I bought it as part of a c02 injection kit.

Not sure on using the water to calibrate.

Most of them require a specific solution to calibrate. Digital meters require frequent calibration of at least two points to be accurate. Honestly, unless you use it very frequently or need to test in a range outside of the liquid test kits it really isn't worth it. All you are really getting is false confidence unless you calibrate it regularly.

Well, currently I don't have any confidence at all, so what would you suggest for testing in this API overlap range?

Honestly, I would say that it doesn't practically make a difference. For aquarium purposes the difference 7.2 and 7.6 is fairly irrelevant. Both are slightly alkaline values.

When you are dealing with values that are far away from neutral it can make a difference but within the API overlap range it shouldn't make much difference.

Hagen/Nutrafin makes a wide spectrum pH test and there are even wider spectrum liquid tests for other industries such as hydroponics if you are worried about it.

There is nothing wrong with digital meters, I often use one because I am dealing with pH completely outside the API test kits ability to read but they do take a lot of maintenance to stay accurate. The thing about digital meters is that they will always give you a specific reading, but if the meter isn't calibrated than it is the wrong value. The liquid kits can be harder to read but they don't require calibration.

It would be great if API made the tests more readable.

I would buy a digital nitrate pen if there was a reasonable one as I can't tell half the colours apart on the liquid test.

Back
Top Bottom