Alternative to Java moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if anyone knew of any alternative floating plants or cover plants when compared to Java Moss? I ordered some Red Cherry shrimp from Aquabid and plan on breeding the shrimp. I have heard many horror stories about Java Moss and how it can strangle/take hold of a planted tank. I am looking for some cover for the newborn shrimp because my gold tetras would love to have a easy snack. Thanks!

it only grows like crazy in certain conditions. i know a few people who cant grow java moss if there life depended on it. i on the other hand have had it in my tank for a while and it grows ata good pace. i am constantly pulling some off and tieing it to new rocks and wood. it will only take over if u neglect it and let it grow and break of. if u trim it every once in while and tie it down when needed then there will be no problem. an alternative though if u still dont want to go with javamoss is christmass moss. it grows much slower than java moss and it is more compact compared to java which can be a little wild looking. i have both in my tank but i really prefer the javamoss. i hope that helps.

mr funktastic said:
i know a few people who cant grow java moss if there life depended on it. .

Count me among the few :p

There are any number of good low-light plants that you can keep to provide breeding cover. Java fern is one of the best if you like leafy plants. It grows well under 1wpg lighting and requires very little care, but make sure you give it at least .75-1.0 watts per gallon.

What about hornwort? From what everyone says it grows really well. I just added some to two of my tanks and it's grown about 3 inches in a little over a week. In the other tank I have some salt and it doesn't seem to like it very much and is dying.

It's a floating plant and the fry in my other tank love to hide in the fake stuff.

From everything I've read, it's best on keeping Cherry Red Shrimp in a species tank if you want to breed them. While you may be able to get a few to survive with sufficient hiding places, it will be a small fraction of the number that you could have had keeping them in their own tank.

Najas guadalupensis, Java Moss (and other mosses), Hornwort, and Anacharis are commonly recommended plants for shrimp tanks.

If you want to be highly successful with Cherry Shrimp. Pur lots of moss and other "tangled" plants for the young to hide it. You want to mosss to take over, this will get you much more cherries.

That said, Moss (java or otherkinds) is easily kept under control. Don't be afraid of it.

Some other nice mosses are: Mini Moss, X-mas tree Moss, Taiwan Moss, Weeping Moss, Willow Moss, and Bali Moss. All different, with different requirments, and growing patterns.

Here are a couple shots of my overgrown cherry tank. There are many hundreds of shrimp in there. Those green balls are Riccia attached to lava rock with netting. The thick jungle of thin leafed plants are Potamogeton gayi.

http://webpages.charter.net/zezmo/BlackCherry-1.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/zezmo/29-cory-on-shrimp.JPG

Back
Top Bottom