Alternative to Quarantine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would argue preemptive treatment with salt and prazipro is your best bet outside of quarantine. Salt is a very wide range treatment option, while prazipro is highly specific for worms and so doesn't seem to bother fish much at all. It's a solid combination of internal and external treatment.

But quarantine is the best option every time.

My LFS recommends QT AND preemptive treatment with Prazipro then Maracyn Plus (not at the same time with a few days between complete treatments.) I agreed with the new baby angel I just bought and she's in QT now by herself in a 39 gal. (Moved the extra sponge filter from my 55 in as recommended on this forum. )

Perhaps I was unsold to buy both medications. They didn't mention using salt.

~ Sent with an unladen European swallow

The ten gallon kit at Wal-Mart is $30 I think and it will have everything required for a qt. If you don't want to qt I suggest only purchasing from quality shops that care about their livestock and never bring a fish home from a big box store. If you're going to gamble you may as well play poker instead of slots.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends on the model. We only have the tetra kit here in Canada and it does not come with a heater.

I would qt if I could but space and time is an issue right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Quarantine should take priority especially if your LFS isn't the greatest at keeping healthy stock.

Caleb

If you really want to succeed at this fish keeping business, you just have to make room for a QT, or you are just asking for problems. It doen't need to be fancy or decorative, but it does need heat and good filtration. I added some gravel and plants just to make the fish feel less stressed. I think it helps, but who really knows? Just makes me feel better I guess.

YES! Qt., don't just treat will nilly! What if the fish is perfectly healthy, and here you are treating it for worms it doesn't have, or even using Maracyn, which is an antibiotic (we all know the dangers of using antibiotics indiscriminately--it can encourage super bugs and then not even people will have antibiotics that work!) We are running out of antibiotics. I hear that in less than a decade, there may not be any more antibiotics that work, DUE TO OVERUSE and that means a lot of animal and human lives will be lost. This is a serious, and terrifying problem. A healthy fish that is stressed from shipping to the store, and then coming home with you doesn't need medications shoved down his throat. In some cases, it can mean the difference between recovering from the stress, or succumbing to it because you stressed him FURTHER.

When I was a vet tech ( and I did it for 12 years, so I learned a lot ) we never treated for parasites unless we knew for sure that a dog or cat had them, because these anti-parasite drugs kill worms, which means they are poison. So you would essentially be poisoning the animal as well as the worms. Why poison the animal unless you have to? Probably not to the extent of killing the animal, but as I said, if the animal is already stressed...

It's just easier all the way around to qt. every new fish you acquire. After battling Columnaris, Camallus (sp, too lazy to look it up) and of course, ich, I've learned the hard way to keep an empty tank handy, and just use water from the main tank, put in a heater and seeded filter, and qt!

I will try go get a small qt up and running soon.

Sad news :( Nothing like a dip possible there and as you're treating (if you do) in a tank separate to DT, you are just about into a QT by default. Maybe when those hand scanners (tricorders?) off Star Trek are released next year..

I agree with sini on the prazi and salt as prophylactic treatment.
I don't do this without reason myself.
I don't really like salt:)confused:) and never treat if I don't believe there is a cause.
I would consider learning about Potassium Permanganate as a dip.
It can kill columnaris so.....:whistle:
The PP is an indiscriminate oxidizer and actually tank friendly if you have learned proper dosing and use.It can and will kill if not used properly:facepalm:
I always have empty tanks so I don't look at it like QT but I know it is.(y)
That being said I like Miss G with guppies in the QT as I feel often the new fish is not the issue as much as how it can tolerate "whatever" is already in our tanks.:eek:
I often move one of my fish from DT to the QT for a couple days or week as final test of health.:fish2:

Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom