alveopora..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have any of this? I got some the other week and have been reading up on it but all the information i have is contradicting each other. Does it like low light, medium, or high? I have 130w jbj pc's, will this be enough for it? If so where should i place it in the tank? Thanks a lot!

Mod to high light with low flow so the polyps will fully extend. They have a low success rate in aquariums.

How close is that anchor coral? I'd keep an eye out for sweepers tentacles from the anchor, it's liable to sting the alveopora pretty good and lessen it's chances of survival.

Oh sorry, its in a 29 gal. I have it about 2inches away from the hammer coral but i have a rock in between them so they dont touch each other. Why do they have such a low success rate?

Why do they have such a low success rate?

There are many theories, but the truth is, if we knew for sure why they (and their relatives Gonipora) did so poorly...they probably wouldn't be hard to keep at all.

I have it about 2inches away from the hammer coral but i have a rock in between them so they dont touch each other.

Just so you realize...that anchor coral can put out sweepers up to about 24" in length if it decides to take a disliking to anything near it. Make sure it's downstream from the alveopora.

Are the anchor coral and the hammer coral the same thing? the reason why i ask is that it was sold to me as a hammer coral so if its something different I'd like to know. :) I used to have the alveo. next to a long tenticle plate coral and i noticed it was getting purple and swollen so thats why I moved it. Now it seams to be doing just fine.

I`m going to have to change my ways also because I was calling mine an hammer coral also. From now on it`s an anchor coral.

And they are both Euphyllia anchora ;) There are also two different polyp "type", hence the two different common names, but they are still the same species of coral.

Okay then, thanks for the correction! I thought the sweeper cells were only 6" though?? It is the branching anchor so does that have shorter sweepers than the others?

Sweeper tentacles will grow to the length they need to combat what it perceives as a threat, all Euphyllia anchora can produce very long sweepers if they feel the need.

I dont think a 29gal is big enough for it then with all my other corals in there. I'll just go get something a little bit less agressive. How do you know if it thinks something is a threat or not?

so it only develops them when it feels threatened? I can see the sweeper tenticles on it at the base below the tops of the branches but they aren't very long at all. Maybe 3" tops. I see some long ones just floating in the tank though. I dont know if they are the sweeper tenticles but it looks like long hair just floating around until it gets stuck on a rock or something.

If everything looks good I would not worry about the sweepers until you see them. If the alvio is being stung by the hammer you will know it. It may not bother it, just wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom