always thought this never happen to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishdude3233

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello,

I've always thought this would happen to someone else, and not me.

between the hours of 4:00 and 8:40 a entire 55 gallon tank of yellow lab juvies has died… around 40 1 inch fish have died.

my parameters are
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5 nitrate
temp 76
ph 6.8
with an API liquid kit

these fish have been in this tank for around 3 weeks, no signs of distress before death no there inhabitants beside the labs

the only thing that changed was a 50% PWC yesterday around noon. I can't say I specifically remember putting prime in, but then again I did at least 30 PWC's yesterday and everyone else is fine, and I would think I would have seen gasping or had them die sooner…

any ideas are welcome, and I want to get to the bottom of this, because that was my last tank of juvies, and I just sold the breeders…..

Sounds like something got into the tank?? How old were they? How long after wc did die off occur?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Noticed I screwed the title up. I have a serious issue with that [emoji27]

They were 1 1/2 to 2 inches.
It occurred 36 hours after the WC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heater still working?

Heater still working?

This is what I thought I've had a entire colony of rcs die because the heater went crazy and raised the temp to 92degrees for a night. But the heater only had a 4 hour span to go nuts; and I would think that I'd feel that the water is way to hot (or at least the thermometer would tell me) when I netted all the dead dudes out.

My only real guess is that I didn't put prime in. But I never saw any symptoms of chlorination poisoning. Maybe I under dosed??

My only real guess is that I didn't put prime in. But I never saw any symptoms of chlorination poisoning. Maybe I under dosed??

Feel like chlorination poisoning happens a little faster?? Any chance cleaning products got in there??

This is what I thought I've had a entire colony of rcs die because the heater went crazy and raised the temp to 92degrees for a night. But the heater only had a 4 hour span to go nuts; and I would think that I'd feel that the water is way to hot (or at least the thermometer) when I netted all the dead dudes out.

NEVER USE TOUCH AS A METHOD OF GUAGING TEMPERATURE!
(Sometimes you are warmer and the water feels cold, I'd feel warm after 30 odd water changes, again if it was a cold air temp. the water would feel much warmer to your fingertips. I've panicked on this more times than I care to remember.)

The acute nature of the deaths would suggest toxic, thermal or severe osmotic shock. It is not normal for a complete wipe out in such a short time.

30 fish would place a burden on the DO levels, this would raise co2 levels and drop PH. (How many air stones, and how much turnover?)

How fast was the water introduced?
(What's the temp. variable between source and tank?)

Fish strip elements from the water, what is the GH of source and tank?

How often do you do these 50% changes?
(I assume the tests are after the event? What (if you know), were the conditions beforehand?)

I'm not sure I can help too much but they are the questions I'd ask myself.

Feel like chlorination poisoning happens a little faster?? Any chance cleaning products got in there??

I would agree with the chlorine killing them faster, but as far as cleaning products I doubt it. It's one of the fishroom tanks and is in the garage.
This has me stumped because all the other tanks are fine it's just this one..

NEVER USE TOUCH AS A METHOD OF GUAGING TEMPERATURE!

(Sometimes you are warmer and the water feels cold, I'd feel warm after 30 odd water changes, again if it was a cold air temp. the water would feel much warmer to your fingertips. I've panicked on this more times than I care to remember.)

The acute nature of the deaths would suggest toxic, thermal or severe osmotic shock. It is not normal for a complete wipe out in such a short time.

30 fish would place a burden on the DO levels, this would raise co2 levels and drop PH. (How many air stones, and how much turnover?)

How fast was the water introduced?

(What's the variable between source and tank?)

Fish strip elements from the water, what is the GH of source and tank?

How often do you do these 50% changes?

(I assume the tests are after the event? What if you know, were the conditions beforehand?)

I'm not sure I can help too much but they are the questions I'd ask myself.

Agree with the whole touch thing, but wouldn't the thermometer give me a accurate reading? There are two sponge filters each rated for a 75 gallon tank in there, both are producing plenty of disturbance on the tank

Water was within 1 degree of tank water when introduced, and was put in as the Python could move it.

My last readings on the tank were Monday
PH 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Test thermometer. (Yes it should be accurate)

Not sure how a python works? If it takes a hot feed (mixer) you could have copper introduced and possibly a much lower Kh. Hot water systems are usually full of copper, this gets in the water. (Right from the beginning I learnt not to use water from the hot side)

Rule out temp. (Providing thermometer gives alternate readings from hot/cold)
Rule out DO (maybe)? (With pH testing, you need several tests over 24hrs)

I've checked your weather, (-3) this means you'd use much more hot water.

(Hello B! Wrong time for chit chat but hello all the same!)

-3 it's been 40 for a while lol
I've been using the same water change system for several months now, I would think I would have experienced this with the other tanks that I chafed the water on yesterday?

Gotta love google weather!
Maybe it isn't temp! (Can I visit! It's not exactly warm in England!)

Fry are sensitive? Not sure then. If the thermometer is working.
It must be osmotic or toxic. . .

Edit, yeah, just checked weather again, I'm looking at the wrong report! Apparently it's 60 today, that's 16 in my currency, ground water is probably just over half of that.
Silly boy I am!

Feel free mc
You can help wit water changes, and my microworm culture

Ahh a bus mans holiday!
(I actually would help! I do it because I love it! Gotta throw in a burger and a beer!)

I've been thinking, it's most likely toxic, everything died. Osmotic, some things would die unless it was a major change.
I forgot dechlorinator a few times, fortunately I pre mix. (If the fish were caught in the flow, but then I think you'd see signs of distress? That's what I noticed, they swam away instead of towards. Alarm bells!)

Maybe you can set up a vat/reservoir and pump? Pre treat a ton of water then you know its safe? (Not exactly time saving though)

I hate this type of thing, when i moved in to my new fish house I killed my puffer, I couldn't work that out, it still bugs me.

FYI, MTS is a worldwide recognised syndrome!
Watched your fish house vid 1, love how excited you are! Well done!:cool:
You're my kinda character! (I'll watch some more of your stuff.)

If you're not fish dude, check out his YouTube! Inspiration to us all.
You must've burned about 1000 calories pacing up and down!:D
(y)

FYI, MTS is a worldwide recognised syndrome!
Watched your fish house vid 1, love how excited you are! Well done!:cool:
You're my kinda character! (I'll watch some more of your stuff.)

If you're not fish dude, check out his YouTube! Inspiration to us all.
You must've burned about 1000 calories pacing up and down!:D
(y)

Oh God, that video was made a long time ago, I think I need a update video. As I have learned so much more, and and much has changed. Maybe a new fish room thread as my old one is buried so deep that its not worth raising from the dead.

I'm going for ph or osmotic. Seems like quite a boiload in that tank. Lots of fish means lots of food also.

If you tested the ph after the loss and it was 6.8 it may have been a bit lower at the time of the water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey it's still pretty cool! My old YouTube sucks proper, but, it is my fish history.
Even though it's packed full of no no's and boo boo's, it's still my learning curve!

Seriously, for someone who is obviously really young, that is excellent. Dedicated and passionate, it's not often you see that!
(Didn't even realise your age until I saw those vids, you're lucky to have that space and it's great how it's being used!) basically, it's made my day.
You say 30tanks, I think old(er/ish) dude, have a pat on the back chap!

I still direct people to my old stuff so they can see the evolution.

(Other people, check it out, I think it's cool, really it is worth a look!)

I'm going for ph or osmotic. Seems like quite a boiload in that tank. Lots of fish means lots of food also.

If you tested the ph after the loss and it was 6.8 it may have been a bit lower at the time of the water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

the tank has a large bioload but handles it fine never had water issues, maybe some cleaning chemical got into it:(

I think this is just a mystery death….

Back
Top Bottom