Am i doing Something wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prince

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, My 55gal saltwater tank has been on cycle for 8weeks now. Both nitrates are at 0 but my ammonia been at 0.25 for past 2 weeks and PH steady at 8.0 . I have everything running again lights,filter,heaters(2), and protein skimmer. I have also been ghost feeding past 2weeks and only change is it seems like some hair like Algae has grown. I have also done 2water changes and the levels still are the same.

~My question is, is there something I'm not doing right or missing?

~At the levels it's at now if I put in a fish or two, will the PH adjust to 8.4 and ammonia to 0?

~Right now can I put some hermit crabs in there just to have something in there, cause I'm starting to get itchy and impatient.

Thank you in advance.

Prince said:
Hello, My 55gal saltwater tank has been on cycle for 8weeks now. Both nitrates are at 0 but my ammonia been at 0.25 for past 2 weeks and PH steady at 8.0 . I have everything running again lights,filter,heaters(2), and protein skimmer. I have also been ghost feeding past 2weeks and only change is it seems like some hair like Algae has grown. I have also done 2water changes and the levels still are the same.

~My question is, is there something I'm not doing right or missing?

~At the levels it's at now if I put in a fish or two, will the PH adjust to 8.4 and ammonia to 0?

~Right now can I put some hermit crabs in there just to have something in there, cause I'm starting to get itchy and impatient.

Thank you in advance.

For cycling, turn off the lights, that will only contribute to algae growth. Also, part of the problem may be that the skimmer is running. Don't want skimmer on for cycle. The skimmer pulls off extra stuff so that it doesn't turn into ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, but you want that to happen during the cycle. The pH of 8.0 is fine, for corals you probably want it at about 8.2, it that's fine for now and fine for fish. Did you ever have an ammonia spike about 4ppm? Cuz that's the level you want to make sure you have enough beneficial bacteria to support a fish in there. Putting food in there is fine, but a quicker way is to go to ACE hardware and buy small bottle of ammonia (when you shake it, it should NOT make bubbles- If it does you can't use it because it has surfactants in it). ACE is the ONLY store around me that sells the right kind of ammonia for aquarium use. A small bottle is under $4. Put a very little bit at a time in the tank until your test measures 4ppm. This will probably take a 1/2 capful or less, so go slowly!! I did my 30g like this and it took only drops. Then test everyday day until you get 0amm, 0trites and some Trates. Then once you get those results, do it once more to make sure your tank can convert the ammonia to 0 in 24h or less. Then do a partial water change cuz your trates should be really high after the cycle. Then you're ready for fish. I know you're gettin impatient, but better to wait than spend your hard earned money on things that will end up dead. Hopefully you have had some BB start and it won't take much longer. Good luck!!!

Beengirl said:
For cycling, turn off the lights, that will only contribute to algae growth. Also, part of the problem may be that the skimmer is running. Don't want skimmer on for cycle. The skimmer pulls off extra stuff so that it doesn't turn into ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, but you want that to happen during the cycle. The pH of 8.0 is fine, for corals you probably want it at about 8.2, it that's fine for now and fine for fish. Did you ever have an ammonia spike about 4ppm? Cuz that's the level you want to make sure you have enough beneficial bacteria to support a fish in there. Putting food in there is fine, but a quicker way is to go to ACE hardware and buy small bottle of ammonia (when you shake it, it should NOT make bubbles- If it does you can't use it because it has surfactants in it). ACE is the ONLY store around me that sells the right kind of ammonia for aquarium use. A small bottle is under $4. Put a very little bit at a time in the tank until your test measures 4ppm. This will probably take a 1/2 capful or less, so go slowly!! I did my 30g like this and it took only drops. Then test everyday day until you get 0amm, 0trites and some Trates. Then once you get those results, do it once more to make sure your tank can convert the ammonia to 0 in 24h or less. Then do a partial water change cuz your trates should be really high after the cycle. Then you're ready for fish. I know you're gettin impatient, but better to wait than spend your hard earned money on things that will end up dead. Hopefully you have had some BB start and it won't take much longer. Good luck!!!

Ok thanks...yes my ammonia has hie 4.0ppm but that was about 2 months ago, and only spike to that once. Is this a problem or so far I'm doing ok?

If you did hit 4 ppm, then I would try adding ammonia to get back up to 4ppm. If it all gets converted in 24, then add a fish. Unfortunately, since its been 2 months, it's possible that some of your BB have died off if there wasn't a steady enough supply of ammonia. But maybe it didn't die off! Add some ammonia and test it. If you're still cycled, it'll be back to zero in 24h, and then if that does happen, it's fish time!!!

Beengirl said:
If you did hit 4 ppm, then I would try adding ammonia to get back up to 4ppm. If it all gets converted in 24, then add a fish. Unfortunately, since its been 2 months, it's possible that some of your BB have died off if there wasn't a steady enough supply of ammonia. But maybe it didn't die off! Add some ammonia and test it. If you're still cycled, it'll be back to zero in 24h, and then if that does happen, it's fish time!!!

Ok so a regular small bottle of ammonia will do fine? Just do the shake test to see if there bubbles or no right?

Ok so a regular small bottle of ammonia will do fine? Just do the shake test to see if there bubbles or no right?

Definitely a small bottle and make sure there are NO bubbles....like mentioned above....add ammo till you get 4ppm if in 24 hours it is back down it is time to see swimmers swimming but add them slowly...and welcome to AA

Geronica said:
Definitely a small bottle and make sure there are NO bubbles....like mentioned above....add ammo till you get 4ppm if in 24 hours it is back down it is time to see swimmers swimming but add them slowly...and welcome to AA

Ok thank you very much for everyone's help. Highly appreciate it. :)

Prince said:

Right. Do the shake test. But remember to add VERY little, doesn't take much. Then test after its mixed up a little while. If not 4, add a little more and repeat. :)

Beengirl said:
Right. Do the shake test. But remember to add VERY little, doesn't take much. Then test after its mixed up a little while. If not 4, add a little more and repeat. :)

O thank you very much, I will keep y'all informed on the progress.

Beengirl said:

Ok so if the ammonia test doesn't go to 0ppm within 24hrs is there something else I have to do then?

Prince said:
Ok so if the ammonia test doesn't go to 0ppm within 24hrs is there something else I have to do then?

Nope. Ya just gotta wait for it to come down. It'll happen. What's it at today? Do you have nitrites? Nitrates?

Beengirl said:
Nope. Ya just gotta wait for it to come down. It'll happen. What's it at today? Do you have nitrites? Nitrates?

Nitrites and nitrates are both at 0 ammonia as of now is 2pmm. And ok thanks.

Back
Top Bottom