Am I doing something wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RayRock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Let me start from the beginning. I set up a 46 gallon bow-front with lots of rocks and driftwood and furite (I spell that right?) gravel, and a couple of caves for my bristle nose-pleco.
I bought a few little Java mosses and a bunch of cryps and moved my Amazon sword from the 35 I was breaking down. The sword was kind of fading and I was hoping the transplant would help it come back. But I was really wrong.
In a couple of days it looked like a jungle floating on top of my aquarium with the number of leaves that I lost. Yes, even the Java fern turn to a green twig.
I have a friend who grows and sells his own plants and he said this was very normal for Cryps. And that they would come back. He suggested anubius, and I got a similar result.
I spoke with him again and he told me that I had to feed the plants. I ordered potassium, magnesium, and trace elements on line.
I believe my lighting is adequate. I'm just not sure what further to do. Some of the plants appear to be coming back very slowly. And, I'm not interested in a CO2 system.
Any further suggestions to make my aquarium more plant friendly?
Someone else told me to stop doing water changes. I disagree with that as I think I'll then lose my fish.
Suggestions? Comments? Advice?

Let me start from the beginning. I set up a 46 gallon bow-front with lots of rocks and driftwood and furite (I spell that right?) gravel, and a couple of caves for my bristle nose-pleco.
I bought a few little Java mosses and a bunch of cryps and moved my Amazon sword from the 35 I was breaking down. The sword was kind of fading and I was hoping the transplant would help it come back. But I was really wrong.
In a couple of days it looked like a jungle floating on top of my aquarium with the number of leaves that I lost. Yes, even the Java fern turn to a green twig.
I have a friend who grows and sells his own plants and he said this was very normal for Cryps. And that they would come back. He suggested anubius, and I got a similar result.
I spoke with him again and he told me that I had to feed the plants. I ordered potassium, magnesium, and trace elements on line.
I believe my lighting is adequate. I'm just not sure what further to do. Some of the plants appear to be coming back very slowly. And, I'm not interested in a CO2 system.
Any further suggestions to make my aquarium more plant friendly?
Someone else told me to stop doing water changes. I disagree with that as I think I'll then lose my fish.
Suggestions? Comments? Advice?

When getting established into a new aquarium many plants will get worse and you have to trim them up. After this phase they will grow back, attuned and fitted for the aquarium as long as lighting/supplements are administered appropriately. My plants did the same thing.

And whoever told you to stop doing water changes.... Best not to take their advice anymore... Water changes are needed to keep a stable healthy tank running at premium level. Water changes along with plants replenish vital nutrients to the tank water. Always do your weekly/biweekly water change.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Your Tank

Hello Ray...

Never stop doing water changes. In fact, you should be removing and replacing at least half the water every week. Replacing water replaces minerals lost to the constant filtration process. The longer water stays in a tank the less it's able to sustain fish and plants.

Your tank is likely 24 inches tall. That makes getting light to the bottom harder. You'll need a minimum of a 3 bulb set up. I like to use shop lighting, it's inexpensive and available at most of the chain hardware stores. For about $30.00 you can have the fixture and three GE aquarium plants bulbs. I use 32 watt T8s, 6500K.

Anubias nana or nangi and Java fern are easy. Attach them to some lava rock with black cotton sewing thread and drop them on top of the substrate.

You can float Hornwort and Anacharis. You don't need extra fertilizers, just feed the fish a healthy diet most days.

B

Back
Top Bottom