Am I overstocked!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xray

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to know if my 90 gal is overstocked. I got a coment today that said so. My filtration is not listed in my sig. Its a fluval 404 and an AC 500. I have lots of rocks and caves. 1 fish death since I set it up about a year ago (unsure why). So let em fly. :D

Depending on fish size currently, possibly....however those moori alone will be pushing the limits of that 90 when they approach maturity, as you are looking at a school of 8" fish.

Those yellows will probably quadruple in population within 8 months, too.

I wont be keeping any fry from the yellows. Got a LFS that will be taking them off my hands.

You really think 5 moorii's is the limit of a 90. 8O Man I am way overstocked!! I guess when they grow up I'll be getting rid of them :cry:

I agree with tortis, get rid of the mooris and buy a smaller synodmous ctafish to control fry 100%. If you did that i think it would be fine.

JMHO

You also might consider going with stricly mbuna or strictly Haplochromines as the Ps. acei are herbivorous and require a different diet than the rest of your fish. While the L. caeruleus are omnivores and will benefit from a little live food, if Ps. acei get too much animal protein (a requirement for most of your fish) in their diet they can suffer from Malawi bloat, in which the excess protein clogs their long, circuitous digestive tract, and kills them. It's never a good idea to keep mbuna with Haps because of this - someone is likely to end up unhappy.

Well I will be getting rid of the mooriis when they get bigger. Would it be ok to keep one. :roll:
Travis I thought Acie were mbuna :bulb: Anyway I feed "New Life Spectrum" Which is supposed to be good for both omnivores and herbavores. I do feed frozen brine and shrimp pellets from time to time. Not often though. I also give them some romain lettuce every now and then. That should be veried enough for the omnivores and low enough in protien for the Acie's :roll:

Acies are Mbuna, xray. I dont think that is too muhc protien i think it is juts fine for the acies persoanlly.

I persoannlly wouldnt keep one but you could prabbly get by with keeping one.
JMHO

I have about 4 times the amount of fish your suppose to have in my ten gallon, but I haven't had any deaths, all water params are good, and I do about a 40% water change every week. The tank is still overstocked though.

So Lance are you saying that I could keep my fish :mrgreen:. I'm really frustrated b/c I thought I knew about fish keeping and how much to keep. :x I'm now thinking I don't know what I thought I knew. :| I hope I haven't given bad advice here. :(

X-ray you know lots about fish, have posted many times, have been very helpful on the site.

I will say one last thing, If you wanted to make a gamble at it keep them all, i am working on a 55gal Lake Malawi Mbuna Bio-type Tank Footprint, and the fish i am going to get, and i am planning on overstocking the tank, but then again i will do a 10% water change every day if i need to and have 12-15x filtration, to maintain my tank.

If you like them that much and are willing to risk it, then i say go ahead and keep them, yes i am contradicting what i said above. LOL I was just being safe and ddint want to give bad advice, but xray you sound like you really want to keep them all.

JMHO

If you want to risk it go ahead but know you are risking it.

I'm not really saying you could keep all your fish. I'm just telling you what I do. You could keep them if you do water changes every week and keep the water params stable. I also use a whisper 20 gal power filter on my ten and I have tons of live plants in the tank. The plants I have are lace java fern, green cabomba, an amazon sword plant, a lily plant, hygrophila monniera, hygrophila corymbosa (giant hygro), and cryptcoryne wendtii and willisi, so I have enough O2 and the plants take up the fish wastes.

Thank You all for your help. I have come to terms with the fact that the Mooriis have to go. :wink: When first starting the tank I had many people here tell me that they needed 6' of swimming space anyway. I also had a few that said it would be ok. I listened to the few. :| I now realize that I should not have. They are doing fine now but will go when they get larger. I do appreciate the support. :mrgreen:

I am glad for the fishes sake u have decided in that way, the tank will be a lot more stable, and you will worry less over it. Yes i am contrcditcing what i said above. LOL

JMHO

Back
Top Bottom