Amano Shrimp Not Eating Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electro_cute

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I recently bought 3 Amano shrimp for my 6G Fluval Edge tank in order to combat a hair algae bloom. However, since I added the shrimp the algae seems to persist at the same levels.

Any ideas? I thought Amano shrimp love hair algae.

My tank is close to a well lit window... Could that be why I'm getting hair algae in the first place?

I recently finished cycling my tank - not sure if that's important to know or not.

:thanks:

Most on here wouldn't recommend adding livestock to your tank just to solve a problem.
But being next to the window could certainly be a cause of your algae. There could be lots of factors for it being able to grow.
Is your tank planted? Lighted?
What do you have in there and what size it?

Hi,

I always wanted to add shrimp to my tank. I just went with Amanos because they like eating hair algae.

I have a 6 gallon tank with 4 plants. Only one of the 4 plants has the hair algae on it and it is quite close to the water current produced by the filter.

In terms of stock I have: 2 male Guppies, 3 Sunset Tetras, 3 Amano Shrimp and 3 assassin snails.

In terms of lighting I have two MR11 LED bulbs.

Thanks for your help.

If your plants are growing well they should outcompete most algae for food. I honestly know nothing about LED lighting so hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in on what could be off.
And welcome!

Back
Top Bottom