Amano shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilmo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey folks.
Just wandering how do you know what sex an amano shrimp is? Is there any different characteristics?

wilmo said:
Hey folks.
Just wandering how do you know what sex an amano shrimp is? Is there any different characteristics?

Not 100% on amano, but with shrimp, once full grown, the female is typically bigger

wilmo said:
I've got two the now. Theyre not full grown yet. But I was hoping tht I had one of each. Lol

Well If you know a bit about shrimps, you can tell based on a hump on the girls back. Also, if there are one of each, you should see fertilized eggs soon. If not, you've got 2 of one sex

wilmo said:
Av had them for a few weeks now. And Havnt noticed anything. Lol

Can you see humps on both their backs?

wilmo said:
Nope. So I have two males. Owell. Need to get some more lol

Can't go wrong with more shrimp!

Sexing amanos is easy but you have to be able to get a good close up look. The line you see through the body on the lower side is actually a series of dots on the male. The females have a series of short dashes.

Breeding is very difficult, though females will readily carry eggs in a fashion similar to other fw shrimp like RCS.

This is due to the fact the shrimplets require tidal movement and a true saltwater environment to grow.

Back
Top Bottom