Amanos turning green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sacmarek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got amanos recently and one of them is green and has some sort of bubbles in his shell or something. Is it dangerous? Should i quarantine it? received_1839851552704981.jpgreceived_1839851532704983.jpgreceived_1839851719371631.jpg

Well they are not under its belly but IN its exoskeleton on the back...

After this stage the female Amano Shrimp will lay as many as 1000-3000 eggs onto her swimmerets below the stomach. The hind of the shrimp will be ridden with green colored eggs. The eggs can take up to 5 weeks to hatch. During this stage they progress from green to light yellow brown

This shrimp is small so the green bubbles can look big on her but they are too big for eggs i think

I have seen green fungus in shrimp but again it was on its belly

Shrimp store eggs in what is known as the “saddle” located on the back between the main body and the tail. After fertilization, eggs migrate to the swimmerets under the tail. Eggs can be green, yellow, brown, or tan.
If you see green and fuzzy, I would be concerned (fungus).

Do a search engine search in images (like g00gle) for

saddled Amano shrimp

When I did I saw a few Amanos and other shrimp images as well and they were very similar, so I think it is saddled, and a female from your pic, it is kind of hard for me to see it clearly.

After a few days it will just disappear and you will begin after a week probably to be able to notice the eggs - called berried shrimp if they were successfully fertilized.

On a disappointing note, they generally can not survive their birth, larval stage with out brackish water and then developing when needing fresh water. Some people have experienced living "fry" - what the baby shrimp are called.

So although VERY unusual unless they were Grass shrimp which are a large number varieties from different parts of the world, basically clearish dwarf shrimp from the Neocaridina family.

The Amanos are interesting and they can be tinted a blue, or green or even seen some which seemed a bit yellow. Sometimes it is their genetics, but also foods can cause a little coloring. And you will see the foods color in the digestive tract.

Male Amanos have little dots at their lower area of the abdomen. Females may have dots towards the top and dashes or elongated dots at the lower side. If I remember correctly...???? :)

Also make sure you don't have any ammonia in the tank.

A little bit concerned in the almost milky appearance, which can indicate a water issue, or could be the shrimp. Would be beneficial to check the water parameters.

The eggs can seem overly large for the size of a shrimp.

And was wondering which substrate you have and how long the tank has been running with that substrate? Amazonia particularly and Amazonia Light even, can leach ammonia.

Substrate looks like one of the Fluval products. Yeah, along with milky appearance, I don’t see the characteristic spots and dots on the shrimp. Weird.
I’ve had a few berried amanos before. The load would be so heavy that swimming was almost impossible.

It ia running for 3 monts i think and i had ammonia problems with it but that stopped 2 weeks ago and the shrims are in the aquarium for not even a week

I don't know much about Amanos but I once in a video by Rachel (Aquarium expert) said that Amanos can turn green like if they had eaten something green like spinach or something or something. Not sure about anything myself as I never kept amanos

Back
Top Bottom