Amazing xmas discovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andjak

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone else appreciate what I just found clearing my old neighbours garden for the new neighbours and I can keep it for free :p

Attachments

• image-2068859877.jpg
    image-2068859877.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 382
Looks big. And it holds water lol. Gonna take some heavy cleaning. But totally worth it.

It is gross im in the process of cleaning now and it's a job lol I'm also gunna have to build a lid and all that jazz I'm also building a base unit for it :) lol its all glass and It's about 5 foot long and 2 foot high not sure what gall yet :) any suggestions for stocking or stuff :)

That's awesome! So lucky! Your neighbors probably don't even know what they're missing out on! By doing all the stuff that your planning on it's going to end up to be one sweet tank, plus you can brag to all of your friends that you did all of that work;). I can't wait to see what you do with it!!!!

Congrats on the Christmas find! That looks like a really nice tank! I'm sure it would make a great Malawi tank.

Is that a 4' tank or a 6' tank? Either way, nice score. Looks acrylic?
Looks like Euro braced glass to me.

Ok so I have built the stand and I'm over three quarters of the way through cleaning I'm gunna make a easy canopy tomoz Christmas I know but I'll have a lil time and it won't take long but I have no idea about self made lighting as this will be my first build ? Anyone know a step by step guide or anything for installing lights iv looked online and there is normally a big silver box :s an I dunno what that is but I gotta find out soon coz I want this set up and running at least cycling by the new year ?

Easiest cheapest and quickest lighting is to buy a fluorescent light from a hardware store and an extension cord. That all depends on what your planning to put in the tank. For freshwater this setup would be ideal. I would suggest a four lamp fixture for that big tank. It's a simple case of cutting the female end off the cord( the end without prongs) strip some of the outer insulation back and put it into the fixture, use a wire connector like a 40/40 also available at the hardware store. Connect the green to the ground screw, black to black and white to white. Once the lamps/bulbs are in plug it in and off ya go. If you build a canopy this can easily be screwed on to the underside.

following! this is sooo lucky, and i hope there is enough gallons in there for a good malawi mix or HINT HINT an *ahem*.... oscar?? hehe :D

One more thing is switching it, can be done but is a little more complex, easiest thing is to buy a timer and let it do it's own thing.

So I can just buy four lights and the light clips an they run straight from a plug socket or do I have to have this silver box thing which I'm not sure what it is lol oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

Ok a lil Xmas update so it's cleaned well mostly build the base which took all of ten mins now just making sure it holds water all the way to the top before building a canopy top or something all gone pretty smoothly except for the nasty cuts I
Managed to get from the bottom of the tank :s stupid deep ahaha but all in all so far so good

Attachments

• image-122690128.jpg
    image-122690128.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 229
  • image-3017144443.jpg
    image-3017144443.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 215
  • image-2568769275.jpg
    image-2568769275.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 213
Well I'm potentially gunna use it to make a massive Malawi or chilid tank but I may just transfer over my small community tank to that and use he smaller one as a breeder but I'm unsure I'm gunna set it up slowly over the next month and stuff as cash is always tight after Xmas but I guess it all depends really I would love a sw tank but I know far to little and have little cash for starting I wouldn't mind some
Dwarf puffers at some point to lol I dunno really the tank kinda fell into my lap yesterday so not sure lol what would all of u suggest I like oddities and random fish but I also like to breed them so :s

I'm halfway through a wooden canopy top frame all built just gotta measure up and attach the top but I'll do that tomoz and
It's 5foot long 2
Foot high and about 18 inches in depth if I remember the measurements I just took correctly lol

Ok so I worked it out it's about 90 gal this is the biggest tank iv had and setting it all up in the next few days how
Many heaters / pumps and stuff will it need ? I'm a bit of a noob when it
Comes to big
Tanks

Back
Top Bottom