Amazon sword help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's up all!!!!

I recently purchased an (OK) looking amazon sword and stuck it in my sand along with 2 seachem flourish tabs on both sides... Just wanted any plant experts to voice their opinion on how my amazon sword is doing ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426461866.286996.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426461891.554128.jpg

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

If you see runners it is being deprived of nutrients. Bought one from petsmart gel pack, and one had a runner. When it was in my 29 gallon with the tabs the runner stopped growing, but when I put them in the 10 gallon with no root tabs the runner regrew and another one grew. I guess it means that when they have ample nutrients they put their energy into growing leafs, but when the nutrients are absent or low the plant puts its energy into reproduction.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you see runners it is being deprived of nutrients. Bought one from petsmart gel pack, and one had a runner. When it was in my 29 gallon with the tabs the runner stopped growing, but when I put them in the 10 gallon with no root tabs the runner regrew and another one grew. I guess it means that when they have ample nutrients they put their energy into growing leafs, but when the nutrients are absent or low the plant puts its energy into reproduction.

I have no runners as of now but my biggest leaf is kinda yellowish. I'm dosing API leaf zone weekly

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Where did you get it from? Submerged or in a gel culture?

Where did you get it from? Submerged or in a gel culture?

Gel pack from petsmart I've had amazing luck there and my plants absolutely flourish. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426467174.706385.jpg giant Anubias

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426467207.492753.jpg
Arachnis

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426467339.570206.jpg
Anubias petite

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426467383.356608.jpg
And I have java fern reproducing

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Give it time to acclimate to submerged. You might want to look into DIY Osmocote Plus root tabs instead of the flourish ones.

Give it time to acclimate to submerged. You might want to look into DIY Osmocote Plus root tabs instead of the flourish ones.

Any idea how to do that?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Oh the root tabs. Thought you meant acclimatization lol
1/8 teaspoon Osmocote put in an ice cube tray, cover with tank water and when completely frozen push down as far as you can into the substrate.

Oh the root tabs. Thought you meant acclimatization lol
1/8 teaspoon Osmocote put in an ice cube tray, cover with tank water and when completely frozen push down as far as you can into the substrate.

Haha that's why I was a little confused. What is 1/8 teaspoons of osmocote????

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Its roughly the same amount of fertilizer that you would get if you used 00 or 0 gel caps. I don't have the gel caps so I use 1/8 teaspoon.

Not to take over the thread but I was thinking about making these to give my root feeding plants what they need. I think I read the tabs are only micro ferts? And you have to use different ones ie diy to get all of them.

1. Is osmocote plus sold in stores or only online?

2. How often do you replace them to keep the plants going? On the tabs I have it says every 2-3 weeks.

I love my fish!!!

Not to take over the thread but I was thinking about making these to give my root feeding plants what they need. I think I read the tabs are only micro ferts? And you have to use different ones ie diy to get all of them.

1. Is osmocote plus sold in stores or only online?

2. How often do you replace them to keep the plants going? On the tabs I have it says every 2-3 weeks.

I love my fish!!!

1. Both. I got mine at either Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes (can't remember which but they should all carry it). Most garden supply stores should also have it.

2. O+ tabs are around every 3-4 months or so.

If you do a forum search for Mebbid's DIY root tabs you'll find a lot of info there too.

That's awesome! I think I will have a LOT left over lol.

Thank you, I'll look that up!

I love my fish!!!

When I went to get stuff for my root tabs all of the stores I went to said osmocote plus had been discontinued in retail locations. May have just been around me, but I ended up ordering everything from Amazon. I also chose to go Mebbid's route and use the gel caps rather than making ice cubes. Makes storage a lot easier.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Are there any equivalents that I may find? Or is osmocote plus the only way to go?

Is this the right one?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426490290.307853.jpg

I love my fish!!!

Not sure about equivalents.

Here's what I ordered and have been working for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IUFJXZK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Osmocote Flower and Vegetable

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CZ83OVM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Miracle-Gro Plant Food with Calcium for Tomatoes, Fruits, and Vegetables.

Then I just got a bag of 1000 gel capsules and it came with a free filling machine which helped a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That sounds like a lifetime supply! You should think about selling them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As for your statement about runners and tabs: I thought the same thing when I purchased my giant swords two years back. They had tabs underneath and didn't send out any runners. So I thought this was intertwined.
But now I have some dwarf amazon swords (don't know the name) in my 5g. I also put tabs under them. But one 4-5 weeks after planting I now have 20+ daughterplants connected by 4 runners. I'm also dosing DIY macro/micro in that tank (maybe this has something to do with it.
Oh btw: I would really like to sell these plants to sustain my hobby a bit (I'm a student). But I really don't know where to start.

Don't want to highjack, but can anyone ID these? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426507148.549455.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426507172.954798.jpg

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Back
Top Bottom