American Flagfish....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do the American Flagfish need cooler water, or will they do fine in warmer water? I read they prefer 66-72 degrees, and my tanks are 78-79 degrees. Also, how easy are they to breed?

they are an oddball within the killifish family, but they breed as easily as any other killifish, which is pretty easily.

I don't see why they woulden't do well in high temperatures. but i dont know for sure

I had some a few years ago. Kept them in a tank around 76F or so. I would love to find some more but they are hard to find in my area for some reason. Really a beautiful fish with subtle colors.

Well, I was lazy today, so I didn't get to the lfs. I might tomorrow to see if they still have them. All they had was 1 pair, and was only selling them as a pair, and not individually. What is the minimum recommended tank size for a pair?

Mine are kept in the low 80's. They have no problem with these temperatures from my experience with them and are often found in shallow drainage ditches and retetion ponds along with many other waterways in Southern Florida. Only downside some need to be watched closely. I have had some that were practically lawnmowers. I had one male that when spawning in a community tank (84 g) would drive all the inhabitants to about a quarter of the tank. Also mine will consume small or molted ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp have been consumed with gusto.

Cool, I got myself a pair. Acclimating now. They will be in my 29G Planted tank, temp is 79.5-80.5.

Now, for the breeding, I read that after the female lays the eggs, that she should be removed from the tank? Will she eat them, or will the male be aggressive towards her while he protects the nest?

Here's the pic while acclimating....

American Flagfish...
29g213.jpg

When my AFF spawn the male guards the site very aggressively. The female can't get near it. I don't haven't removed her or other tank inhabitants at this point. I know my males will often consume the eggs if pestered too much. I can start to remove eggs with a turkey baster and they will start to consume them quickly. My AFF have always deposited eggs on plants usually upper third of the tank. I have also had them spawn successfully in microsword many times.

I finally got some pics. What do you think?

This one is the male:
29g214.jpg

These are supposedly the female... Is it really a female, or is this a smaller male?
29g215.jpg

29g216.jpg

29g217.jpg

You have two males. The female will have a false eyespot located on the dorsal and no red. Here is a pic of an old quartet (all still kicking). Male and 3 females.

img_748461_0_5bb54f0e3b8c3df19f80d999e47080a8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom