Ammonia 1.0-2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newlyobsessed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have one goldfish in a 7.5 gallon tank with filtration and air stone. I think he is a common or comet goldfish. I got him from the fair when I took my nephew? I know this is not a big enough tank for him but it's what I have to deal with for now. All testing levels are good but my ammonia. I used filtered water from my fridge and an API starter kit but did not cycle before I put him in the tank. I was not a very good fish parent and didn't think he could live as long as I've discovered. Or get as big as I e discovered. So what do I do now? How do I get my ammonia under control. He isn't acting bothered. He looks shiny and metallic, no spots, eating well, and swimming constantly.

I'd agree with above thread.

Fortunately get to see these threads more rarely but so annoying to see pretty pictures of goldfish for small tanks marketed.

I'd re-home the comet. They are pond fish. This will make your life much more enjoyable in the hobby imo. Then stock with a betta or nano fish or shrimp or snails, etc.

Failing that, the only way to get ammonia down (assuming tap or other change water is fine), is massive water changes until the bacteria population can establish. Which can take a month, up to two months. This assumes the filter can handle the bio-load which has been a problem for these threads. If the filter can't, then fin rot is possible.

Quite often these threads start at a fin rot problem so congrats on recognising the issue early. Unfortunately options are limited.

Products like seachem prime will detoxify ammonia for a day or so & API zeolite can be used as an ammonia remover (can be re-charged).

But frankly and unfortunately, I'd remove that fish.

Ammonia

Can I add another filter to the tank? Will that help? And how do I know what kind of goldfish it is? If it's a comet or common why in the world do they give them away at the fair?

If you post a photo we'll know or try google of goldfish types. Even fancy goldfish here get to "pick-up-in-both-hands", however I believe smaller varieties of "pick-up-in-one-hand" are possible. No goldfish will work for that size tank however.

In open space with room and food to grow, they are just massive fish. In small tanks they are just cramped. Can't turn around properly and don't grow properly. The tails themselves are just about a separate fish for space needed.

In previous threads, additional filtration has been looked at and frankly while it is a really good idea, the initial tank size is just too small. We could never get the extra filtration to really work. Sorry to be so gloomy.

Goldfish are cheap, hardy and don't need a heater. Probably survive better than long-finned beta's in poor conditions.

Goldfish in too small tank

So I live in Texas. Would it be better to just find a pond to put him in?

Back
Top Bottom