Ammonia and the API master kit??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamwallaby

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank keeps reading at 0.25 ammonia. I have been doing water changes, 30% everyday. Two days ago I did a 50%. I did not do any PWC yesterday to see if the ammonia would go up but it still says 0.25.
The booklet says the color chart for ammonia is appropriate for freshwater aquarium I which salt has been added. I do not have any salt added. Could that be affecting the test?

How long has the tank been setup? How are your numbers for nitrite & nitrate? Have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

First, try reading the results outside in natural light. Indoor lighting can play tricks on your eyes with the spectrum of color they have. Next, do a comparison test between your tank and some RO or distilled water. If your tank matches the RO/distilled, then your actually reading zero.

Dreamwallaby said:
My tank keeps reading at 0.25 ammonia. I have been doing water changes, 30% everyday. Two days ago I did a 50%. I did not do any PWC yesterday to see if the ammonia would go up but it still says 0.25.
The booklet says the color chart for ammonia is appropriate for freshwater aquarium I which salt has been added. I do not have any salt added. Could that be affecting the test?

Also try testing the water out of your tap. Also make sure you are doing the test correctly. Make sure you shake for 5 seconds and how the instructions read.

Nitrites are 0, nitrates are 5ppm. Tap water was zero for all. Tank has been up for a year but I added more fish over the past few months, probably too many together. I wonder if the driftwood could be affecting the test. The tank looks mostly clear but maybe there is just enough tannins still leaching to throw off that test color?

Dreamwallaby said:
Nitrites are 0, nitrates are 5ppm. Tap water was zero for all. Tank has been up for a year but I added more fish over the past few months, probably too many together. I wonder if the driftwood could be affecting the test. The tank looks mostly clear but maybe there is just enough tannins still leaching to throw off that test color?

The driftwood shouldn't alter the ammonia in the tank. I guess you could take a white glass and get some tank water and see if its clear or tannish. But I still don't think it would matter.

Back
Top Bottom