ammonia cycling 180gal freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

touchofgrey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am "attempting" to cycle a 180 gal fw tank. I am using the fishless/ammonia method. I started the process on 12/15/13. The closest that I can figure is that 1.75 oz ammonia brings the tank to about 4ppm. So far, my nitrites are holding steady at "off the scale" (API test kit, deep purple immediately upon putting drops in). Nitrates around 20ppm, pretty steady, pH holding at 7.0, temperature 78-80.

I've seeded the filters and also used Nite-Out and TSS. Ammonia usually drops to 0.5 to 1.0 ppm after 24 hours, but nitrites are not budging. Tank is fairly heavily-planted, well-lit, co2 levels good according to drop checker. I have a pressurized co2 system that I have not started yet.

I was told yesterday that I should not dose the tank with ammonia any more until nitrites crash, but I would think that that would starve the bacteria.

Am I just being too impatient, or am I doing something wrong? My fish in my other tank are giving me the stink-eye because they are ready to move! I appreciate any input you fine people can pass along. Thanks!

Is your other tank cycled? If so, do a 100% water change or two on the new tank to drop your levels to zero, move the old media (or filter and old media) to the new tank and move your fish over. Keep an eye the parameters in the new tank for bit to make sure everything stays stable. That's about it! You may see a hiccup or two in the parameters but as long as you do not increase the bioload any time soon, there really should not be any problems.

If you want to finish a fishless cycle on this tank first, I would still do a large water change then just simply wait (yeah, the hard part!). Do not dose ammonia at all. Nothing will starve so don't worry! Put your test kit away for now and let us know how things look after a week's time and we can go from there. :)

Is your other tank cycled? If so, do a 100% water change or two on the new tank to drop your levels to zero, move the old media (or filter and old media) to the new tank and move your fish over. Keep an eye the parameters in the new tank for bit to make sure everything stays stable. That's about it! You may see a hiccup or two in the parameters but as long as you do not increase the bioload any time soon, there really should not be any problems.

If you want to finish a fishless cycle on this tank first, I would still do a large water change then just simply wait (yeah, the hard part!). Do not dose ammonia at all. Nothing will starve so don't worry! Put your test kit away for now and let us know how things look after a week's time and we can go from there. :)

I agree with this. I read a paper that stated bacteria became active three months after being starved and consumed all the ammonia within 24 hours. Can't find the link right now but definitely stop adding ammonia.

fishless cycle

Hmm. Now that's something I hadn't thought of. Since I'm moving the fish from a 65 to a 180, I guess I could actually just pretty much do a huge water change on the big tank, move fish, water and HOB filter from the old tank to the new one (can't move media, going from gravel substrate to sand, although I guess I could bag up some of the old gravel in panty hose and put it in the new tank temporarily), and since I'm not actually increasing the live load on the new tank for a while, as long as I keep parameters safe (ammo-lock and prime?) I could start increasing bio-load slowly when I feel comfortable with things.

I'll quit stressing, put away the test kit, not worry about starving my bacteria, and go for it. I'll update as things progress. I knew that I'd feel better after asking here, thanks!
Kelly

Just did an 80% wc on my big tank in prep for moving fish, everything at 0 except nitrates still around 80+ ppm. I guess I'll do another water change and see what that does.

Can't beat that!

Just did an 80% wc on my big tank in prep for moving fish, everything at 0 except nitrates still around 80+ ppm. I guess I'll do another water change and see what that does.

From what I have read, it's easy to not realize that your tank is fully cycled because nitrites build up so much and the nitrite to nitrate bacteria can't keep up with it. During the water changes as you have done will get rid of the nitrites that have built up and make it more obvious where you are in the cycle.

I think you've confused the term "media" to mean "substrate" (ie sand and gravel).
When somebody suggested transferring media from your older tank, they were referring to the filter media that in your HoB filter. This is were the vast majority of the BB lives.
I wouldn't bother transferring water or substrate since very little BB would come with it.

doing what I should be and...

Ok, I did this- did 3 water changes to bring my nitrates down to under 20ppm, nitrites are at 0, ph good. Transferred fish and HOB filter from other tank, also put gravel in pantyhose and put in both overflows for more bacteria.

Only lost 1 fish, but now my ammonia readings are off the chart! I dosed with ammo-lock but no relief, I'm thinking of taking the fish back out of the big tank (HUGE pain because of plants/rocks), doing more water changes, and see what happens. I am really concerned about the ammonia rising so fast. I am confident that there is bacteria, my nitrites were high before the water changes. I'll do a pwc tonight and see where things are. ****, this is frustrating. :banghead:

I know the feeling I have a 180 and doing a fish in cycle and it's a pain doing so many WaterChanges I do about 300 gallons out every week just on my 180 seems like everyday I have to do a wc other wise my ammonia and nitrite levels get to high and require a second 25% wc I do like 40+ gallons a day. Been 2 weeks in and finally slowing down on wc's parameters are better but still have a little ammonia everyday very frustrating indeed. Don't let it get u down it will get better in time. I have even been feeding less to help keep levels low and it seems to work a little. Good luck with this viscous cycle.

Stupid mistake

Well, I got my tank cycled, fish and plants installed and chemistry stable finally. Multiple water changes, Amquel, and patience got me a beautiful tank. Until yesterday. I am running 2 HOT 250's for polishing right now. I didn't notice it, but one of the intake screens had come off. About a week ago, I purchased 3 really nice julii corys. I hadn't seen them in a few days, and my water was starting to cloud. Very curious. I tested my ammonia, and it was off the scale. What in the world was going on? I noticed the missing intake guard on my filter, took it apart, and found the remains of the 3 corys decomposing inside. I immediately did a major water change, dosed with Amquel+, and hopefully I averted a real disaster. I can't find one barb and one green cory, but everyone else is still hanging in there. Parameters are slowly returning towards normal, but I'm not out of the woods yet. We'll see. Stupid mistake on my part, need to pay more attention.

Back
Top Bottom