Ammonia in my water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e2wilhelm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All, I seem to have about 0.25 ppm of ammonia in my tap water. Shouldn't a cycled tank be able to remove this very quickly? I seem to always have a level of ammonia of < 0.25 ppm in my tank. Does this also mean that my tank is not fully cycled? Is there anything I can do to treat the water since my tank doesn't seem to be able to fully remove the ammonia?

A cycled tank should, yes. What dechlorinator do you use? Most should detoxify ammonia temporarily until the bacteria can consume it. That being said if the tank is still cycling there might not be enough bacteria to consume it yet. Some questios:
How long has the tank been set up?
What fish do you have?
What filter? Have you changed any of the filter media?
What are the usual tank readings (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH)?
What kit are you using (strips or liquid)?

Thanks for relying. The tank is a 20 gallon and has been set up since Labor Day weekend. I know have an AquaClear 70 (turned down to about 50%) which was put on the tank on December 11th. The original HOB filter was a Top Fin 20, which I discovered was completely useless. I have a feeling that every time I changed the cartridge filter I was removing any beneficial bacteria that had been established. the normal readings using the API liquid kit are:
Ammonia = < 0.25 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 10 ppm
pH = 7.6

Fish 3 red wag Platies, 1 oto, 4 Cory cats and 1 red dwarf gourami

I recommend doing a 50% WC which should bring down the ammonia to 0. If you have Prime, use it. Its the best dechlor and transforms ammonia into a non-toxic state that an established filter can remove much easier. If the ammonia spikes back again I dont know what to say lol. Lay back on feeding and the stock seems fine for that size tank. All the other parameters are good..hmm.

Thanks for relying. The tank is a 20 gallon and has been set up since Labor Day weekend. I know have an AquaClear 70 (turned down to about 50%) which was put on the tank on December 11th. The original HOB filter was a Top Fin 20, which I discovered was completely useless. I have a feeling that every time I changed the cartridge filter I was removing any beneficial bacteria that had been established. the normal readings using the API liquid kit are:
Ammonia = < 0.25 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 10 ppm
pH = 7.6

Fish 3 red wag Platies, 1 oto, 4 Cory cats and 1 red dwarf gourami

You are right about the cartridge, once you remove it your BB goes with it. From here on out don't change the cartridge, when it gets dirty swish it around in OLD tank water. Only change it when it's falling apart, even then run the new cartridge with the old one for a couple weeks to allow the BB to seed over to the new cartridge.

Thank you for the replies. That is what I was planning moving forward, but I feel bad for the fish in the tank. I'm planning on putting up a 10 gallon planted amazon biotope tank and will not make the same mistake. In fact I will be doing a fish less cycle.

Back
Top Bottom