Ammonia in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Upacreek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've made a typical rookie mistake and am currently beginning a fish-in cycle in my 29g tank. I should have done a fishless cycle.

I've been testing the water routinely and have been conducting twice daily PWCs to try to keep ammonia levels down, though I haven't been successful in lowering to "safe" levels. Todays tests showed a spike in ammonia---4ppm!! I did a 50% water change, tested a few hours later and it is the same. I decided to test my tap water and it is testing at 1ppm...way too high in and of itself!

Is there anything I can do to get this under control without disrupting the cycling process? Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!

Zeo lite is supposed to turn ammonia into ammonium which is not as harmful. I have read it doesnt stop the cycle. Most have told me to try not to use chemical filters so i took mine out.
The ammo in my tap comes out kind of high and then it drops after a while. No problems so far with my fish in cycle.

use prime IMO. it is the best thing on the market it will detoxify ammo for 24 to 48hrs also will not stall your cycle.i have the same issue with my tap water and only use prime as my water conditioner it works great.

Back
Top Bottom