Ammonia Levels when cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wheelsondown

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What should my ammonia levels be while in beginning stages of cycling? Right now ammonia is 2.0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 0 ppm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine took 4 weeks before I hit nitrites so be patient.

Also, turn your heater to 82-85f, try generate some flow to break the water surface, add a little fish food and add seachem prime, my cycle went really fast once I added that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It depends on the size of the tank. A large tank might require a higher ammonia starting point. A small tank will not require as much..2 ppm for smaller ones maybe and 4/5 ppm for larger tanks.
The filter media will only be able to hold so much bacteria.

You're in a good spot! When did you first dose with Ammonia? It took about 2 weeks for my Ammonia to drop and to start seeing Nitrite readings. That's in a 60 gallon with 2 Emperor 400 power filters.

I have a 36 gallon bow front tank. I started seriously dosing this week after getting the liquid test kit. I have plants so I've been dosing twice a day 4-5 eye drops.

I have a 36 gallon bow front tank. I started seriously dosing this week after getting the liquid test kit. I have plants so I've been dosing twice a day 4-5 eye drops.

I would let the Ammonia drop back to 0ppm before dosing it back up again. Adding that much Ammonia constantly is going to prolong the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom