Ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mmclaughlin09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
K so here is the deal. My ammonia level is through the roof. I put ammo lock in there to make it safe but I can't get it to drop down. I put ammonia chips in the filter and I've done a half water change and still isn't going down. What should I do?

7 cichlids and I just added two Corey catfish today.the tank has been running for for like 2 1/2 months but I just noticed the levels like a week and a half ago.

How long have you had fish in there and have you changed anything in your cleaning routine or used any new chemicals? Sorry to ask so many questions, but just trying to get all the information.

I've had the fish for like a month and I haven't changed anything besides I started using tetra easy balance

I saw in another forum that Tetra Easy Balance will cause an initial ammonia spike when added. I would not add any more to the tank and do another water change. The less chemicals you can add the better. I use Scachem Prime for detox......make sure when you change your filter to leave some sort of filter media in there so you don't lose your good bacteria. Hope this helps

Mmclaughlin09 said:
K so here is the deal. My ammonia level is through the roof. I put ammo lock in there to make it safe but I can't get it to drop down. I put ammonia chips in the filter and I've done a half water change and still isn't going down. What should I do?

Have you checked that your filter media does"nt need cleaning? Have you over fed? I would continue daily water changes and feed your fish very sparingly whilst this is happening. It may be that your filter is too immature to cope with the bio load and needs longer to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom