Ammonia up after gravel vac and 40% water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gretie22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there.
Yesterday morning the ammonia level was 0ppm but the stones where looking a little grubby so I did a gravel vac and changed 40% of the water. Today I tested the ammonia and the level is up to 0.50ppm. When ammonia levels are high you would usually fix it by water changes, but that seems to be what's caused the ammonia level to rise. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

It's a 30g tank with 2 goldfish, been up and running 5 months now. To be fair I think I just got abit carried away with the cleaning and got rid of to much of the good bacteria. I stupidly cleaned the filter at the same time as doing my gravel vac.

It's probably what you said, to much cleaning, probably kicked you into a mini cycle. Keep up the water changes until your bb is back to normal.

Borderlesscott said:
It's probably what you said, to much cleaning, probably kicked you into a mini cycle. Keep up the water changes until your bb is back to normal.

I agree.. when ever you vac the substrate you kick up lots of trapped debris so if its been awhile since you have then you will only want to clean a small portion of the substrate at a time. Also not quite sure what goldfish you have but more then likely just the 2 are overstocking the tank since lb for lb they may be the dirtiest, largest Bioload in the aquarium hobby lol.

Back
Top Bottom