Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarcool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank. When I first set it up and started cycling it I put in two glofish. After a few weeks I had water tested and everything was perfect it read really good on ammonia, nitrate nitrite, and ph balance, so I got 2 more glo fish. The 2 new glo fish died within 2 days. The original glofish died within 3 or 4 days after the new fish died

I have had nothing in the tank for probably 2 months. It's been running the whole time, I cap it off with new treated water and yesterday I bought an ammonia testing kit. This morning I tested the ammonia in it was like 8.

What can I do to get the ammonia down?

ForumRunner_20120729_091726.jpg

8???? I'm a saltwater guy but 0.25 ammonia is deadly in saltwater. Water changes, and a lot. You shouldve cycled the tank properly before adding fish. Poor choice. Everything good in this hobby happens slowly.

So there haven't been any fish for a month right? Have you been adding ammonia?

Check your tap water and check the expiry dates in the reagent bottles. Some thing is weird here.

I have a 10 gallon tank. When I first set it up and started cycling it I put in two glofish. After a few weeks I had water tested and everything was perfect it read really good on ammonia, nitrate nitrite, and ph balance, so I got 2 more glo fish. The 2 new glo fish died within 2 days. The original glofish died within 3 or 4 days after the new fish died

I have had nothing in the tank for probably 2 months. It's been running the whole time, I cap it off with new treated water and yesterday I bought an ammonia testing kit. This morning I tested the ammonia in it was like 8.

What can I do to get the ammonia down?

View attachment 109546

When you said everything read good what do you mean? What was your water change schedule like before the fish died? If you are doing a fish in cycle you should have been doing daily changes of probably close to 40-50% in a 10 gallon. Anytime you ammonia or nitrite got above .25 it's dangerous to your fish.
Doing a fish in cycle you need to test your water daily. If you don't have a liquid test kit(that tests for more than just ammonia, you need to know nitrite and nitrate as well) of your own you should get one. Start off by testing your tap water and see where everything stands. Hopefully you won't have high levels of ammonia in your water.

If everything is good in your tap water do a water change and get that level down to 3-4 PPM, you will probably need to do a few. I would suggest at this point you do a fishless cycle and save yourself some hassle on water changes and possibly fish death.

Do you have any nitrite or nitrate in your tank water right now?

I also suggest you do a bit of research of what may be suitable to your tank. IMO glofish need bigger than 10 gallons. They are also a schooling fish so you'd need at least 5-6.

So there haven't been any fish for a month right? Have you been adding ammonia?

Check your tap water and check the expiry dates in the reagent bottles. Some thing is weird here.

I did have tap water checked and it was just fine. I don't have any testing material for nitrates and nitrites. My next thing to get is the testing material for nitrates and nitrites and ph. I have been taking my water into the pet store to get checked. As money allows I'm going to get everything I need to do this correct this time.

I'd ask them to write down the numbers of everything when they test; sometimes they'll say it's "Fine" when it isn't. Also if they are using strips they aren't accurate; you really need a good liquid test kit (like API). I agree the Glofish need a larger tank than 10 gals; unfortunately the fish stores will sell you anything. You might want to read this guide; it explains methods of cycling so you can choose one that works for you. Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

When you said everything read good what do you mean? What was your water change schedule like before the fish died? If you are doing a fish in cycle you should have been doing daily changes of probably close to 40-50% in a 10 gallon. Anytime you ammonia or nitrite got above .25 it's dangerous to your fish.
Doing a fish in cycle you need to test your water daily. If you don't have a liquid test kit(that tests for more than just ammonia, you need to know nitrite and nitrate as well) of your own you should get one. Start off by testing your tap water and see where everything stands. Hopefully you won't have high levels of ammonia in your water.

If everything is good in your tap water do a water change and get that level down to 3-4 PPM, you will probably need to do a few. I would suggest at this point you do a fishless cycle and save yourself some hassle on water changes and possibly fish death.

Do you have any nitrite or nitrate in your tank water right now?

I also suggest you do a bit of research of what may be suitable to your tank. IMO glofish need bigger than 10 gallons. They are also a schooling fish so you'd need at least 5-6.

Yes, I think glow fish was the wrong choice to begin this with. I also think I should of had all the testing materials to be testing the water as I go. I'm going to break the tank down, put new water in it put a new filter in and just take everything out of it except for anything that came from the pet store. I do have a couple glass jars in there. 1 of the jars is light blue in the other 2 little jars are clear. I don't know if they're causing any problem with the water. But yes I guess I'm going to have to do a fishless cycle.

Yes, I think glow fish was the wrong choice to begin this with. I also think I should of had all the testing materials to be testing the water as I go. I'm going to break the tank down, put new water in it put a new filter in and just take everything out of it except for anything that came from the pet store. I do have a couple glass jars in there. 1 of the jars is light blue in the other 2 little jars are clear. I don't know if they're causing any problem with the water. But yes I guess I'm going to have to do a fishless cycle.

It's really hard when you go into the store trusting these people because you think they are the professionals. I remember when I was starting out I said I needed a test kit, I figured working there they would know what I needed. I walked away with just a PH kit, nothing else. lol.
Instead of buying all the kits separate why not save up and buy a master kit. In my experience it seems to be cheaper this way. API has a master kit, you'd end up with extra ammonia but that's not really a bad thing either. I also know people buy the kits on amazon and they are cheaper usually. Something to think about.

You really probably don't need to replace the filter. Someone else may weigh in here but I don't see a need for it.

IT's hard to say with the jars being ok or not. I do know a lot of people use terracotta pots as decor/caves for fish. Something to think about if you want to switch out the jars.

If you get those tests and post some results we can certainly help you out with what to do if you need it too. It's just hard to give results when everyone is shooting in the dark. lol

I'm really curious if you have any nitrite showing up yet since it's had such high ammonia for so long. I'd hate to restart the cycle if you may be getting some progression on it.

tamtam said:
If you get those tests and post some results we can certainly help you out with what to do if you need it too. It's just hard to give results when everyone is shooting in the dark. lol

I'm really curious if you have any nitrite showing up yet since it's had such high ammonia for so long. I'd hate to restart the cycle if you may be getting some progression on it.

Thanks, I will save up to get the complete test kit so I know where I stand with everything. You all have been very helpful and is truly appreciated.

this is certainly a great site. I get lost for hours on here reading articles. There are some good fish profiles too

You have been given some good advice just wanted to chime in and let you know I like the look of your tank! Also there should be no problem with the glass jars

Back
Top Bottom