Amonia Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noelle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my 36 gallon tank for 3 weeks. My amonia was always at .25, could never get it to 0, but I haven't lost any fish, and they seem fine. I added some more fish a couple of days ago, and they also seem to be doing well. I just checked my amonia (because of adding new fish), and it is now up to .5. What would you recommend? Adding something to the water, or partial water change? All other levels (Ph, etc.) are in the ideal range.

Hiya Noelle and welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

Water change. Keep in mind a 50% water change will reduce the level down to 25%. Fresh clean treated water is always best!

I agree with allivymar again! Shes so smart! :lol: Just change some of the water. Anything she tells you will be right on the money! If it hadnt been for her I would have given up fish keeping months ago! I had a horrible time with mine in the beginning....just hang in there. And welcome to the group!

if you've only had the tank three weeks then it has not had time to finish cycling... my advice is water changes of 20-30% each day until ammonia goes back down.. cycling usually takes 4-6 weeks so 3 weeks is not enough time..

Yup...I've said it before and I'll say it again...it took six weeks for our tank to cycle. I tested the water every day. I had .25 ammonia for a while, then it jumped up to 3.0, then slowly came down. Then the nitrites jumped up to about 2.0, then slowly came down. Just checked it yesterday. The ammonia and nitrites are 0 and have been that way for about a week.

I still do water changes about once a week...about 10%. just to vacuum out the gunk in the gravel.

And I concur...if it hadn't been for Alviymar, I'd have quit ages ago!

You guys flatter me *blush*

Seriously tho, having a fishtank with happy healthy fish is easy once one knows the important stuff, like water parameters, water changes, compatible fish and the right size tank. By keeping on top of em, one can enjoy this obession..erm...hobby as its supposed to be enjoyed.

:oops: At the risk of making you blush even further Alli, you're enthusiasm for the hobby is somewhat infectious. Very glad you are here :D

Also do not add any new fish until that ammonia is reading a steady 0ppm. Do you have anitrite test kit as well? This is possibly even more important.

Keeping those ammonia and nitrite levels below 0.5 ppm during the cycle process will keep the fish very healthy in the long term.

Thanx Brian *grin* Think I can fry an egg on my face now LOL

*nods and agrees with tkos*
I also wouldn't add any more fish till the tank is completely cycled and ammonia and nitrites read 0. I too keep my cycling tanks at .5 ppm pr below for the dangerous nitrogenous wastes.

Just a thought Noelle; what sort of water conditioner are you using? If its one that "removes" ammonia that may explain the initial ammonia readings; they can cause a false positive on Nessler ammonia tests.

I just went through this myself and let me tell you it took close to 2 months and I am very happy now.

My ammonia levels were off the charts. It took about a month before I saw them drop and for the nitrites to rise. I was doing daily water changes (sometimes every other day and doing anywhere from 10% to 50%) depending on how high the reading was. It was very satisfying to see the ammonia drop, the nitrites rise and then have them fall. Right now all readings are at 0 with an occasional .25 reading for the ammonia.

I lost fish at the very beginning. I succumbed to the "new tank syndrome" and filled my tank with water and with fish 24 hours later.

I also checked my tap water to see how it was. That came out to 0. You never know.

I'd keep doing the changes and get a test kit. I was testing twice a day. Maybe a little over kill but I was afraid to lose any more fish. I agree with Alli, don't buy any more fish until you get your levels under control.

:wink: HTH!

Ditto for Alli here also.. I had a horrible start I knew nothing and now I have a 20gal of very happy fish ,20 guppy babies :) and I am pretty sure it is addictive I started a 10 gal q.t..I find my self thinking about a bowfront .. :wink:

Karla

LOL...I did the same thing after about a month of daily ammonia readings...I checked the water to be sure IT didn't have ammonia!

It takes time...and I'm very glad we put the time into it...my daughter loves her babies.

Back
Top Bottom