An Even Bigger Tank Than I Thought! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, so, as some of you may know (mainly just Fort and siva), I am supposed to be getting a 15 gallon tank for my birthday in June. Well, my mum just agreed to buying me an even bigger tank! My dad is going to build me the stand:)

Dimensions: 36inches long x 15inches high x 12inches wide.
Volume: 23.3 Imperial gallons/28.1 US gallons/109.1 litres.
I'm really excited!

There are two catches. -__-
1) I pay for the filter, heater, lighting etc. myself from the money I get from other relatives.
2) I can't do anything with it until August, because that's whe we are moving house.

Heres a link to the tank. Aquarium by Clearseal (Available in Store Only) | Pets at Home (its the £54.99 one on the drop down list)

It's from PetsAtHome which is basically the English Petco;)

Anyways, I just thought I'd let y'all know!

Dan:D

Awww that's a cute looking tank!! Good that u are getting a larger tank :) bigger the better!! Haha how much money do u have? Any idea what kinda filter and stock u want?

Thanks:) No money so far, but for my birthday I will be getting approx £100. My parents wilo be buying anything else I need after I run out money. Lol. I want an AquaClear 50, would this suffice? As for stocking, I want Mosquito Rasbora, Dainty Cories and Dwarf Gourami. Also RCS and Nerite snails:) any suggestions on numbers?

Thanks, Dan:D

Ya the aquaclear 50 is sufficient!

Oh good. Do you think I could go with the AC30 to save money? Or would it be insufficient?
I used to keep fancy golds and love the idea of a 100 gal with 8 or 9 Orandas/Moors and a school of White Clouds:D

Dan.

Does anybody have any ideas in regards to numbers of mosquito rasboras, dainty cories, nerite snails, red cherry shrimp and dwarf gourami? :)

Contrats on the tank upgrade, I'd be going banana's if I had a empty tank around my house. Heck I get the shakes when I see any empty container that I could put fish in. Good luck and this teaches patience and gives time to research your stock list.

I'd suggest you stick with the AC50 for that size tank, it's a perfect fit.

At least. =] We run two AC50s on our 29g, so one AC50 is a bare minimum. You'll end up needing more filtration than you think you will, and to be honest, the more the better.

Plus, an AC50 isn't that much more expensive than an AC30, so might as well make the investment now!

In that size tank, you could do 12-15 mosquito rasboras (or more, even 20), a single male or female dwarf gourami, at least 6 dainty (pygmy) cories, and RCS and snails to your heart's content.

At least. =] We run two AC50s on our 29g, so one AC50 is a bare minimum. You'll end up needing more filtration than you think you will, and to be honest, the more the better.

Plus, an AC50 isn't that much more expensive than an AC30, so might as well make the investment now!

In that size tank, you could do 12-15 mosquito rasboras (or more, even 20), a single male or female dwarf gourami, at least 6 dainty (pygmy) cories, and RCS and snails to your heart's content.

If you read his post, you'd see he's a young kid on a budget :ermm:.

Unless you have goldies or are way over stocked a single AC50 is fine on a 28g. I have a 37g that's filtered for 110g and a 29g that filters (305 can) for a 75g, but both those tanks have very dirty fish and as you can tell I'm all for over filtration, but even that has limits lol.

I'd definately recommend the 50, if you can squeeze out the cash Mr. It will provide better water quality for your fish.

I'm very excited for you!

If you read his post, you'd see he's a young kid on a budget :ermm:.

Unless you have goldies or are way over stocked a single AC50 is fine on a 28g. I have a 37g that's filtered for 110g and a 29g that filters (305 can) for a 75g, but both those tanks have very dirty fish and as you can tell I'm all for over filtration, but even that has limits lol.

Totally understand, I've been on a budget too and I know how that feels! =D A single AC50 would be fine. I was just sharing my experience.

hi guys and thankyou! i havent been on here for a while, just never had the chance, what with exams and everything :/
anyways, thanks for the suggestions!
how does this sound?
12-15 x Mosquito Rasbora
6-8 x Dainty Cories
1 x Male Dwarf/Sparkling Gourami
All the RCS from my 3 gallon (there are about 30 in there ATM), plus any babies that they have
4 x Nerite Snails (2 x Zebra, 2 x Red Spotted).

and yeah, im on a pretty tight budget. that sucks. i figured that for the filter, heater, test kit and light it will cost me approx. £120 with the prices from my LFS, which is about how much i will be getting for my birthday. i might have to get the parents to buy the fish and inverts. teehee.

Thankyou guys! Dan:D

That'll work great. =] Those fish are ideal for the size of aquarium that you have. You can actually do bigger fish than that if you want... or add another large school. Or do 3 sparkling gouramis instead of 1. They don't need to be in 1's like dwarf gouramis.

Just checking but have you budgeted for the fact the tank comes without a hood?

That'll work great. =] Those fish are ideal for the size of aquarium that you have. You can actually do bigger fish than that if you want... or add another large school. Or do 3 sparkling gouramis instead of 1. They don't need to be in 1's like dwarf gouramis.

okay thankyou! would i be able to add an extra group of male guppies or is that asking for trouble? i will probably go with the 3 sparkling gouramis too. male or female? or both? thankyou guys:)

hi again:) scrap the guppies, i changed them to celestial pearl danios. would they be any good in my tank?

i put all the info into AqAdvisor.com and it said that the soarkling gourami's may be become too aggressive for the rasbora and cories when they're breeding. would i avoid that by getting all male or all female? it also said that the temperature requirements between CPD and Mosquito Rasbora was too great.. :/ what do you think?

here is the picture from aqadvisor.com. this is with an AquaClear 50 and Hagen Elite Stingray 10. the dimensions aren't exact but i think their is only 1 inch difference :)

Attachments

• AquStockImage.png
    AquStockImage.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 100
Back
Top Bottom