Anacharis in low-light Fluval Edge 6g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_Fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a the Fluval Edge 6 gallon with fake decor and 1 java fern and i want to get another fast growing easy low-light plant. Can i grow an Anacharis in my tank? Does it need root tabs, co2, or high lighting? Also how do you plant it?
Thanks

Brazilian water weed

I have a the Fluval Edge 6 gallon with fake decor and 1 java fern and i want to get another fast growing easy low-light plant. Can i grow an Anacharis in my tank? Does it need root tabs, co2, or high lighting? Also how do you plant it?
Thanks

Hello Fish...

Common water weed (Anacharis or Egeria densa) is best grown floated if you have subdued lighting. By floating it, it's very close to the light source and the entire plant benefits. The plant takes nutrients through the leaves and drops it's roots downward, toward the substrate. The roots anchor the plants.

Since it takes nourishment from the water, it will grow very well with a good liquid fertilizer mixed with tank water. Seachem's Comprehensive is excellent. That's what I use and the Ancharis grows very well. You just have to drop individual stems of the plant into the water.

Keep the water minerals replenished with large, frequent water changes and dose the fertilizer according to the instructions when you change out the water. You'll have a tank full of the plant in no time.

B

BBradbury, is saying yes, it will grow in your fluval edge. He's saying that it needs plant fertilizer at the correct dose to do really well.

The fertilizer he suggests is made by Seachem and it's called Flourish Complete. For a Fluval 6 gallon, it's 9 drops per week.

If you can't afford to or don't want to fertilize, the plant should be ok. It just won't grow as lush or make more of itself.

Back
Top Bottom