Anacharis melting! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a bunch if anacharis floating in a breeder box (ready to hold my female when she decides to give birth...because she's taking forever) and a layer of what looks like leaf decay is on the bottom of it. Can anyone explain this and tell me how to prevent it? I thank in advance!

And also another question, will the decay bother the fry or will they eat it? And I was planning on getting flourish comprehensive, will it combat the decay?

I thought they were warm water? It's 78° in my tank. That explains why the new growth is doing better than the original plants! It's probly cuz they adapted to the warm water because they were never moved from cold to warm! So I guess I'll just have to get rid of the old plants once I have enough new ones, huh?

Some plants melt during the acclimation to your tank, it's not a big deal. Anacharis grows like mad so just pinch off the new growth and toss the old melting stuff so it doesn't foul your water.

Alrighty I'll do that. Look! I have baby guppies playing in the anacharis! You gotta admit that they're extremely tiny!!! :) (I'll pinch off the dead parts right now) :) :D :) :D :) !!!!!!!!

In my personal experience with Anacharis, the stems I originally recieved melted and were very dark in color, but they grew bright green off shoots that I cut off and replanted, and now those off shoots are still really nicely colored and are growing very quickly. I'm hoping they grow off shoots as well so I can just keep propagating.

But yes, Anacharis is technically a cold water plant, but as long as you don't go above 78 degrees they should be alright. Your stems look a lot better than my original ones did though!

Haha well it's good that they look good! You can cut the stem in half, that works just fine (I've done it multiple times, it's worked out great for me) anacharis is a fun plant, great for fry to hide in to! And now I have fry to hide in it! Yaaaay!!! :)

Haha well it's good that they look good! You can cut the stem in half, that works just fine (I've done it multiple times, it's worked out great for me) anacharis is a fun plant, great for fry to hide in to! And now I have fry to hide in it! Yaaaay!!! :)

Now that you mention that, I actually have a question, when you cut the stem in half and replant the top part, does the bottom part develop that "bushy" tip that the top has, or does it just grow as it is and the tip remains just how it looked when it was cut?

Sorry if that was a little confusing, I'll clarify if you need me too :D

It will either continue normal growth straight up or it will grow multiple juvenile stems out of the cut off part, and I understood the question just fine :)

After pulling off those brown rotting parts, the stems are very green and looking much healthier :)

alia258 said:
After pulling off those brown rotting parts, the stems are very green and looking much healthier :)

That is because it is no longer wasting it's resources trying to keep those parts alive.

I agree, that's probly why! They look great :) thanks for the info too!

Back
Top Bottom