Anarchy's "in between tanks" 125

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The fish look great!
Corals are awesome too.
I feed my clowns black worms and they love it, also they seem just generally better than when I fed them dry food.
Thanks and yeah the only dry food I feed is pellets. I prefer a more natural diet for my fish
Am I thinking of the wrong one here, or aren't black worm not very nutritious for saltwater?
Not sure but I know alot of people feed blackworms. Also suppose to be good for picky eaters

It's still early for me...but as I work through my morning coffee the more my memory is coming to me about this. They are great for picky eaters but aren't the most nutritious is all. It shouldn't be an issue with you making your own food either way.

It's still early for me...but as I work through my morning coffee the more my memory is coming to me about this. They are great for picky eaters but aren't the most nutritious is all. It shouldn't be an issue with you making your own food either way.
Now time to work on nitrates. I rarely test so decided to test and wow nitrates are at about 80 lol. I guess no waterchanges will do that

Yes it sure will! My top off/water change pump died and I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail so I missed the water change for last week. I am trying to pretend it didn't happen and the extra water changes I'll be doing will be for fun...

Yes it sure will! My top off/water change pump died and I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail so I missed the water change for last week. I am trying to pretend it didn't happen and the extra water changes I'll be doing will be for fun...
I've never been big on water changes because nitrates and phos has always read 0 and my sps have been pale so ive always had to feed heavy and no water changes. Now that I've got a nice amount of fish ill probably have to start doing them again to keep nitrates around 5-10

It is always about balance. With years of having to use distilled water, I have work to do on my end when it comes to nitrates. So in theory, with ~70 gallons to the system it will take 14 weeks minimum to have all of that water out of the system with my ro/di unit up and running now.
But when it comes to water changes, it also brings with it the replacing of the calcium/alk/mag and many other trace elements that we can't even test for...at least on a hobby grade. Until corals are overwhelming the tank again there isn't a reason to even test let alone worry about dosing as the weekly water changes keep up with things on that end.

It is always about balance. With years of having to use distilled water, I have work to do on my end when it comes to nitrates. So in theory, with ~70 gallons to the system it will take 14 weeks minimum to have all of that water out of the system with my ro/di unit up and running now.
But when it comes to water changes, it also brings with it the replacing of the calcium/alk/mag and many other trace elements that we can't even test for...at least on a hobby grade. Until corals are overwhelming the tank again there isn't a reason to even test let alone worry about dosing as the weekly water changes keep up with things on that end.
Yeah balance is important. My problem is my ato holds 15 gallons of water and I have a spare 10 gallon tank so when I want to do waterchanges I fill the 10 gallon with rodi and a 5 gallon bucket with rodi and thats all the water I have. Then I have to wait a few hours for the rodi to fill the tank back up. My goal is to get a couple 20 gallon glass tanks and a 25 gallon poly tank. 25 poly will be a rodi holding tank, 2 20 will be saltwater holding/mixing tank, 1 20 qt tank

As tanks get larger that becomes more of an issue. I only have to rely on the old gallon jugs that the distilled water came in. Once I upgrade, I'm thinking big 25 gallon trash can on the wheel things I remember janitors on them in high school so that it can be moved around. Tie that together with the troughs for livestock to drink out of as a sump...some heavy thinking outside of the box with food grade plastics can be a big assistance in this area.

Back
Top Bottom