... and a love for all things FISH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reaperpilot2014

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!
My wife and I have been running an animal rescue out of our home for over 4 years now. My expertise lies in animal behavior, although I'm a teacher/pilot by profession.

I've been a fish enthusiast for my entire life, starting with my first feeder goldfish at age 5, which lasted an entire week! :fish1: I moved up to different colors of feeder goldfish, and then to bettas.

Eventually I grew up a little and currently have 3 aquariums, all freshwater. My single (favorite) fahaka puffer is housed in a 125g, as well as 2 smaller tanks, 1 for crayfish and snail feeder breeding, and another community tank. I have previously kept several freshwater tanks, and proudly kept a mottled motoro stingray for over 3 years.

Although I will be the first to admit that I don't know everything about keeping an aquarium, I am passionate about it, and will spend hours researching anything I feel I need to know or am otherwise interested in. I remember when I got ich in my first tank. I immediately set to work to find out what it was, how to say it right, how to treat it, and prevent it from occurring again in the future.

I'm the wrong person to ask about live plants or saltwater setups, but I have made just about every mistake there is with freshwater setups, and I have learned a great deal from my experiences. If you want to talk or ask about anything, anything at all, I am eager to talk, discuss, teach, and learn. Whether it's breeding guppies, which tankmates do well together, raising pufferfish, breeding crayfish, fish behavior, diseases, filters, new tank syndrome, nitrogen cycling, etc., I'm looking forward to numerous conversation and becoming an active member of aquariumadvice.com.

Thanks!
Spencer

Hello and welcome to AA!!

I would love to here more about your animal recue, I have fostered a coon hound, but never got the chance do go beyond that. But I did have the honor of adopting a female Rottie from a "breeder" a Dobbie from a lady that was tired of him, and a Basset from the Humane Society and Gill-T a english Mastiff that was minutes away from from getting put to sleep! And to top it off I also had two Min Pins and a Boxer! :)

You know, it's not so hard keeping saltwater, sounds like it would be a breeze for you, try it, you'll like it! ;)

Thanks for the welcome!
It sounds like you have your own animal rescue experience! My wife and I have basically been doing the same thing. Sometimes it's a stray dog or rabbit that has obviously lost its home for some time. Sometimes we see and ad on KSL or elsewhere, one of the "has to go tonight or I'm taking it to the pound tomorrow" ones. We've even had a baby skunk wander up to us in a park, obviously way to young to have left its nest unless mama had died (that little thing loved turkey). The stingray I had was actually, well strongly encouraged to be given to me for adoption when a friend realized that he did not have the space nor financial means to care for it.

Do you still have all of your animals you mentioned? We currently have two miniature dachshunds (Nhamo and Teylah) and a former sled dog siberian husky (Kita). We also have 4 rabbits in a separate room and we just rehomed a very nice cat. Anyway, it's a lot of fun. It's always hard to see animals leave after we've had them for awhile, but rewarding to know they've gone to a good home where they will be loved and cared for.

I really am afraid to get into saltwater. I feel almost positive I would kill something within the first week lol. I do want to get into it eventually though.

I think it may be worth it too look into saltwater. I have a 20 gallon freshwater and a 34 gallon and 55 gallon saltwater. If you start slow with hardy fish I think you will be fine. One of my local fish stores helped me get started with my first saltwater.

I rescue but mainly baby birds. I rescued a baby dove at two days old and raised him. His name is rocket. He never left and comes when I call him.! He is allowed outside and to Rome my room whenever he pleases. Then there was cedar who was very dehydrated and had a small wound on his wing. He flew off but we see him around sometimes. I know it's them because I can one up to them, some are iffy about being handled though... And my most recent rescue was a baby robin that fell in our pool. I dried him off then sent him on his way back to mom who was screaming wildly the who time. But that I'd rescue any lost or injured animal that came our way. We are just kinda full handed with one bird, three rats, 6 fish tanks, a dog, and a hamster. I'd like to try saltwater eventually too but it seems like so much more work.I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE AA and WELCOME. There are very many nice people out there that like me Love to too talk about fish.

You just joined a group of passionate aquarium lovers. I hope you continue to enjoy this hobby for many years and post some pics of your fahaka when you get the chance.

reaperpilot2014 said:
Thanks for the welcome!
It sounds like you have your own animal rescue experience! My wife and I have basically been doing the same thing. Sometimes it's a stray dog or rabbit that has obviously lost its home for some time. Sometimes we see and ad on KSL or elsewhere, one of the "has to go tonight or I'm taking it to the pound tomorrow" ones. We've even had a baby skunk wander up to us in a park, obviously way to young to have left its nest unless mama had died (that little thing loved turkey). The stingray I had was actually, well strongly encouraged to be given to me for adoption when a friend realized that he did not have the space nor financial means to care for it.

Do you still have all of your animals you mentioned? We currently have two miniature dachshunds (Nhamo and Teylah) and a former sled dog siberian husky (Kita). We also have 4 rabbits in a separate room and we just rehomed a very nice cat. Anyway, it's a lot of fun. It's always hard to see animals leave after we've had them for awhile, but rewarding to know they've gone to a good home where they will be loved and cared for.

I really am afraid to get into saltwater. I feel almost positive I would kill something within the first week lol. I do want to get into it eventually though.

No, sad to say no dogs, was going through a messy divorce and the other half wanted all the dogs gone. Gave me no notice, it still hurts my heart thinking about it......but I do have my fish! 20 gallon long, which will be freshwater after I get the 40 gallon breeder up and running, a six gallon desktop with a betta, a five gallon with a betta, a 2 1/2 gallon with saltwater sexy shrimp and two ten gallons, one holding live rock and the other using as a QT with two clowns.

Keep up the rescue, the animals need more people like you! Someday maybe I can start my own rescue, dreams do happen!!!

welcome to AA:) glad to hear your doing your part to save animals(i would butmy mom says no:()

Back
Top Bottom