... and bury it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RICICHULOUS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, y'all!
Anyone here ever bury their heater?
Im trying to hide my heater and was thinking of drilling a bunch of small holes in PVC, sliding my heater into it, and burying the thing under gravel.
Or maybe just suction the heater directly to the bottom and cover with gravel?
Thoughts/ questions/ concerns?
Thank you for any and all replies...

Not sure if this would allow the heater to work properly. On one hand, the substrate is heated which in turn heats the water. But it might depend on if the heater's sensor requires a flow of water to properly function.
You might be better off with the pvc thing. Or an inline heater (assuming you have a canister, old style power head, or sump).

Not sure if this would allow the heater to work properly. On one hand, the substrate is heated which in turn heats the water. But it might depend on if the heater's sensor requires a flow of water to properly function.
You might be better off with the pvc thing. Or an inline heater (assuming you have a canister, old style power head, or sump).

Thanks for the reply...
Ah, yes.
I was gonna have a small powerhead pushing water over the gravel above the heater. But upon thought, this may not work.
I may simply cut the PVC in half and use it to "hide" the heater along the glass.

By "old style powerhead" you mean?

Water needs to move freely around a heater or through it for it to function.

Use your decor to hide it! I use a tall piece of driftwood a few inches in front of my heater to hide it. IMG_0576.jpg

Last edited:
I like the "hide it with decor" approach. My tank has a black background and the heater is black so the only thing you really see is the LED indicator light.
By old style power head, I'm referring to the style that looked more like a water pump as opposed to the newer ones which are more like a cage around an impeller. The older style type allowed one to attach tubing to it (that could be attached to an in-line heater).

By old style power head, I'm referring to the style that looked more like a water pump as opposed to the newer ones which are more like a cage around an impeller. The older style type allowed one to attach tubing to it (that could be attached to an in-line heater).
Ah, I see. I've got a few laying around. That may be an option.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I would read a few manufactures directions for use and maybe even email one. But somewhere in the ages of my memory I recall the same sort of info from TMaier about the flow and it couldn't be buried for some reason. The heaters are made for heating water not substrate.

Atm I can't recall the size of your tank, but there are heat lines which can be placed in substrate similar to how a heated tile floor looks like. Also similar pads like for reptiles to heat from underneath the tank, but would need to check for saftey and water. I know here are different sizes for reptiles, but I think I have seen them for fish tanks too.

I would read a few manufactures directions for use and maybe even email one. But somewhere in the ages of my memory I recall the same sort of info from TMaier about the flow and it couldn't be buried for some reason. The heaters are made for heating water not substrate.

Atm I can't recall the size of your tank, but there are heat lines which can be placed in substrate similar to how a heated tile floor looks like. Also similar pads like for reptiles to heat from underneath the tank, but would need to check for saftey and water. I know here are different sizes for reptiles, but I think I have seen them for fish tanks too.
Thanks for the reply!
My tank is a15 column.
I'm hoping to look into what you mention.
Doubt suppose you've got a name /manufacturer?

Burying a heater seems really inefficent as far heat transfer is concerned. Water is great at transferring heat (its the standard of measurement) and you would be severely limiting the surface area of water that comes in contact with the heater and instead be relying on the heat transfer properties of your substrate. I can think of a few over-engineered ways to work around this in a fish safe manner but you're better off just hiding it like TMaier mentioned haha

Some of the popular brands for aqaurium water heaters you might email would be Cobalt, Finnex, Eheim Jager.

Wow, never saw a price for this before, here is one, probably make your jaw drop like it did mine!

These are substrate heating cable makers probably more.
Tunze substrate heating
Dupla Aquarium heating cable system
Dennerle Bodenfluter

Hi there: I'm considering an "in line" heater ....it sits between your canister filter's out flow and the tank. My favorite aquarium store uses them... They seem rugged. If you google in line aquarium heater you'll find them. My only issue is hose diameter and matching or adapting to the heater's required hose diameter.

I've also considered having a plastic "screen" fabricated that would obscure my heater, hoses and intake lines. There's a custom plastic fabricator near me that specializes in signs and other small batch items. I'd put everything in a corner and insure there's sufficient water flow so that everything operates properly. A couple of ideas for you...RDL

Back
Top Bottom